Elephants or mammoths ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spesh

Signature bandwagons are just sooooooooooo last forum! :?:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Having just been learning to spin, I suppose if I had a baby mammoth I could use the fleece to make sweaters as well as asking it to help me with domestic automotive duties. But I dunno. I like elephants. I think I'll stick with them for now.

Also of course, mammoths are currently pie in the sky and jam tomorrow, while elephants are here and now... I think the waiting list for a mammoth will be even longer than that for a heffalump.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If they did clone a mammoth, would it be dopey and friendly like the Indian ones or bad tempered and stroppy like the African ones.

Note Bonj, that is another difference besides ear size. No doubt somebody will break the concept of species and speciation to you gently at a later date.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
Note Bonj, that is another difference besides ear size. No doubt somebody will break the concept of species and speciation to you gently at a later date.

I thought about it, but couldn't be bothered...

Good question about temperament - not sure anyone knows what they were like - although they were around at the same time as man, it was well before any written history. Apparently sometimes males would fight, and those big curvy tusks would get interlocked leading the animals being trapped together and dying of starvation - their skeletons being found still locked together. That's either dedication to aggression, or sheer daftness...

I expect they'd pretty much ignore you until you provoked 'em, and then they'd swat you pretty effectively.

bonj2

Andy in Sig said:
If they did clone a mammoth, would it be dopey and friendly like the Indian ones or bad tempered and stroppy like the African ones.

The temperament might have more to do with the environment of where they live, than their genetic make-up. African ones are probably stroppy because the Africans are always making them work whereas the indians are a lot more chilled out, long dress and sandals-wearing ghandi-style people. Besides there's war in just about every other country in africa, they're probably a bit nervous what with hearing all that gunfire in the distance.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
Andy in Sig said:

The temperament might have more to do with the environment of where they live, than their genetic make-up. African ones are probably stroppy because the Africans are always making them work whereas the indians are a lot more chilled out, long dress and sandals-wearing ghandi-style people. Besides there's war in just about every other country in africa, they're probably a bit nervous what with hearing all that gunfire in the distance.
no elephants in kashmir then

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
no elephants in kashmir then
don't know! - maybe?! :?:
perhaps there are but they're stroppy?
Or maybe they're still fairly left wing like most indian elephants, but a bit disappointed about the constant tussle for land and as such are more inclined to put their foot down and demanda rest when they're constantly being made to carry guns to the front line?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Andy in Sig said:

<pssst> It's Indian elephants that work, not African ones...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Does that mean that the mammoths at Wookey Hole would have enjoyed cave-diving and cheese?

Well, you learn something new every day.

Cave snorkelling, presumably, with their trunks.

Wow. Imagine a mammoth cheese sandwich...

Really need that drooling tongue out smiley from c+...

Top Bottom