Elevation query on a Garmin 520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyR

Has anyone had any problems or issues with their 520's recording strange elevation gains? I have done the same rides on the same bike for the last few weeks (winter miles on the mtb). Each time my elevation gains are completely different and some times a few hundred feet out. I do the ride with a group of friends and theirs are generally around the same but mines is out by a fair bit.

It's bugging my happiness. Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't worry about it. Are you checking the garmin or the downloaded data on garmin connect or Strava ?

Changes in air pressure during the ride can affect data.

I have the software correct elevation gain.

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

Wouldn't worry about it. Are you checking the garmin or the downloaded data on garmin connect or Strava ?

Changes in air pressure during the ride can affect data.

I have the software correct elevation gain.

All of the above. but surely if there are 2 on the same ride using the same configurations then they surely there shouldn't be 100's of feet of a difference. consider we ride side by side.

I have used the tool but but when i do it looks as though i'm doing a quarter of the climbing compared to everyone else.

Have you set you base elevation above sea level and try leaving it out on the bike for 5 minutes before you set off.

Tried a factory reset? Download data first
If you report it to Garmin this is the first thing they will tell you to do. Latest software, hard reset.

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

It may be faulty. How out is it !?

It's about 100+ ft out with others using the same device on the same route.

Have you set you base elevation above sea level and try leaving it out on the bike for 5 minutes before you set off.

I usually switch it on in the car when i'm getting ready. But i've never set any elevations (don't know exact level)

Tried a factory reset? Download data first

Yup tried that and same result.

mattobrien

Guru
I found that setting elevation for a know location i.e. home made my Garmin more accurate. I have got an app called 'My Altitude' for my iPhone and sued that - I believe you can also us a computer to work out elevation at any given point too.

Top Bottom