Elvis Costello's song censored by BBC. Is this right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-lyric-Elvis-Costello-hit-Olivers-Army.html

Apologies for the source but this seems an hysterical over-the-top knee-jerk reaction to me. Particularly as I had the lyric sheet that came with the album and the lyric runs/ran 'one more wiggle one less white ligger' As I remember, anyway.

Elvis Costello had survived a race storm by making a disgusting comment about Ray Charles so it was a particularly sensitive time for him and these lyrics were analysed and passed as OK by the hacks at the NME at the time. The song's been played a million times on the radio with no comment...until now.

I always hear the word as 'ligger', and have watched him sing it as such live on numerous occasions. It was seen as an urban musical term at the time as seen here
Ligger
Music slang. Origin obscure, but has been in use since the 1970's

A person who blags their way into parties, or back stage at music events just to get free food and drinks, and to bore their friends stupid with stories of 'how they met David Coverdale,' or 'hung out with members of Led Zeppelin.
"I went back stage at the recent Deep Purple gig, but didn't meet the band cos there was 200 other liggers in the way"
buy ligger mugs & shirts

I think you'll find it's spelled 'Tha'

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I haven't read the story in the link but if it's as suggested then, yes, it's over the top. In the context of the song there's nothing wrong with it.

What will the BBC do when they next broadcast a documentary on the Dambusters of WWII? Will they try to alter history by substituting another word for "Nigger" (the name of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's dog) as the codeword Gibson used to confirm the breach of the Möhne Dam?

GC

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"...and now for a track from 'Never Mind the Testicles', by the Pistols of Impregnation..."
...and here's another one from the BuzzPenises

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 2368407, member: 1314"]I always read it as “white nigger” - that it was an insult used against Irish immigrants to the UK.

[/quote]

According to a recent bit on Radio 4's Feedback programme it was a term used by some British army personnel stationed in Northern Ireland in the 70's / 80's to describe republicans.

Always amuses me...

Karn Evil 9 was not played for the lyrics concerning "seven virgins and a mule", car bomb and other dodgy references

Yet a few years later was a theme tune for a family game show

Lou Reeds "Perfect Day" was a drugs related song, yet also chosen for "Children in Need" as a single

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Always amuses me...

Karn Evil 9 was not played for the lyrics concerning "seven virgins and a mule", car bomb and other dodgy references

Yet a few years later was a theme tune for a family game show

Lou Reeds "Perfect Day" was a drugs related song, yet also chosen for "Children in Need" as a single

.. yet his '..and the colored girls say..' lyric in "Walk on the wild side"' gets changed nowadays to something clumsy like '..and the girls all say..'

GC

Top Bottom