Elvis(h) is in the building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I've had trouble finding some Simplex jockey wheels for the rear mech, they're virtually unobtainable and I'm not paying £25 for a set.

@carlosfandangus very kindly sent me a Sachs rear mech which although didn't fit the mech hanger, the jockey wheels were in really good shape and the centre holes were not far off, so I got the Elvish back down off the shelf and did some home bodgery :laugh:

As you can see not quite the same but not far off.

So I just drilled them out slightly and used the Simplex shim and washers, bolted it up and it works really well!

Next job is to find a replacement 550A rim or complete rear wheel, Ebay France have the odd wheel but it's difficult persuading some buyers to post to the UK

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Glad it worked for you ^_^^_^^_^^_^

12boy

Guru
My 8th was in '57 and that little jewel wasn't born yet. About that time I was given an Atlas bike, made from the finest gas pipe, and made in India were I was living then. Kept it until my early teens when I was given a metal flake candy apple red Schwinn "Racer".

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Update. After some searching on Google.Fr I've managed to source a brand new 550a rear wheel. I've also ordered a new 5 speed freewheel and chain. When it arrives, my plan is to also replace the all the cables, strip out the bottom bracket and headset. The little Elvish will then be in perfect roadworthy condition, I just need some grandchildren to ride it!

Last edited:
some more additions needed
1593439802208.png

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
It is uniquely French. I've never seen anything like it in this country. The 550a wheels seem to be a unique French size and what is unusual is the quality of the groupset and components. It's a proper, serious 10 speed road bike, but for a child.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Finally the replacement 550 wheel arrived from France today. The replacement chain and freewheel also arrived yesterday. I won't bore everyone with the details but it didn't go smoothly, the bugger tried it's best to fight back! but its now all fitted, gears all work and at last it has a straight and true rear wheel. Shame it doesn't match the front but a 550 rear wheel which takes a 5 speed freewheel is not the easiest to source, it's taken me nearly a year to find!

Top Bottom