embarassing body parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobloes

I am an experienced cyclist in that I have used one regularly for 30 years to get to work (usually less than 10 miles) and took part in triathlons for about 6 years (my average speed was always about 20mph even when I did a half ironman). I am now 60 and have not seriously cycled for about 10 years. However I have now got back into cycling again and am starting to build up distances. On my last ride which was only about 25 miles I suffered significant discomfort in the hard spot between front and back private parts. In fact I am reasonably sure that I was significantly reducing the blood flow to my legs (noted by pins and needles in my feet when i took a break). I have never used padded shorts. Do not want to bother a doctor with such a minor problem as I assume that it is not unique. Any comments or advice? Oh yes I am a male!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crap saddle and no cycling shorts - get a good saddle and shorts - try some Specialized Saddles, and a good quality short.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Get a recumbent.

LOL, more seriously - what fossy said. Most bike shops that sell Spesh saddles have a butt measuring device to measure the width of your sit bones (ischeal tuberosities) and match them to a Spesh saddle width. I wouldn't exclude other saddles as you may have to try a great many before you find a good fit. You may also have to try quite a few saddle positions and setups as well.

yenrod

carbon-mp_01.jpg

andygates

I did not know that the perineum got less padded. Learn something everyday!

Bobloes, you were one of those crazy triathletes who did the ride in his speedos? :wacko:

OP
OP
B

bobloes

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly I did a similar distance ride yesterday on my racer without discomfort. The town bike has a Selle Royal saddle but is significantly wider than the no-name gel saddle on the racer. Also the racer saddle is slightly tilted forward. Of course it could just be my body getting used to discomfort (I am old school.) Andy Gates My triathlons were done in the days before drafting was allowed (one of the reasons I gave it up) so naturally I just used lycra shorts without padding. (Padded shorts are for wimps)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, even Sheila Simpson now wears padded shorts.
Oh no! That ruins my defining image of Audax riders. I remember over hearing her give advice to a long distance cycling newbie about 10 years ago; "Make sure you cut the padding out of your cycling shorts - it's the padding that makes them uncomfortable".

It was the moment when I realised that anyone can pay their AUK subscription and do the rides, but only the chosen few can really become 'one of them'. I never took the scissors to my Assos shorts.

gavintc

Guru
bobloes said:
Thanks for the advice. Interestingly I did a similar distance ride yesterday on my racer without discomfort. The town bike has a Selle Royal saddle but is significantly wider than the no-name gel saddle on the racer. Also the racer saddle is slightly tilted forward. Of course it could just be my body getting used to discomfort (I am old school.) Andy Gates My triathlons were done in the days before drafting was allowed (one of the reasons I gave it up) so naturally I just used lycra shorts without padding. (Padded shorts are for wimps)

At least you won't now appear in the Daily Mail for your S&M antics. No padding - that is so hard core.

Tim Bennet. said:
Oh no! That ruins my defining image of Audax riders. I remember over hearing her give advice to a long distance cycling newbie about 10 years ago; "Make sure you cut the padding out of your cycling shorts - it's the padding that makes them uncomfortable".

It was the moment when I realised that anyone can pay their AUK subscription and do the rides, but only the chosen few can really become 'one of them'. I never took the scissors to my Assos shorts.

Yeah, she's put a few people off cycling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One day my wife and I were relaxing on a canal bridge parapet having a drink of water when an elderly couple rode past on tourers, both of them dressed in tweed cycling britches and jackets, real old-style. The elderly lady saw my wife drinking and in a quavering voice she proclaimed "I don't know why you're drinking all that - you'll only need to stop and get rid of it!"

yenrod

Rigid Raider said:
One day my wife and I were relaxing on a canal bridge parapet having a drink of water when an elderly couple rode past on tourers, both of them dressed in tweed cycling britches and jackets, real old-style. The elderly lady saw my wife drinking and in a quavering voice she proclaimed "I don't know why you're drinking all that - you'll only need to stop and get rid of it!"

The 'old school' eh, :sad:

:rolleyes:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Rigid Raider said:

it was that old fashioned view that contributed to tom simpson's death on mont ventoux - at the time riders were forbidden from taking water from the team car.

Top Bottom