Emergency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Rover

Guru
Crow Lane is one of my favourite local climbs.

sections of Whalley Nab had me concerned about unclipping, especially on one of the tighter corners if something came down the hill!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I don't really get the problem, just unclip and put your foot down surely?

It's only happened to me on two hills mind: Rosedale Chimney (25 rear cassette a little over ambitious) and on the Corkscrew - every time I've attempted it on a road bike.

The latter I'd recommend as the perfect location to test your technique: cobbled, tight bends, 30%+ gradient. Some descriptions here:

https://cycleclassics.co.uk/cheshire-cobbled-classic-sportive/

Restarting once stopped is a much bigger challenge though...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What do you think of Higher Lees Lane?
I went down it yesterday; I think I prefer going up it.
I love riding Lees Lane from the Roby Mill end. Higher Lees I have only ever climbed, I don't think I fancy the descent. I like hill climbing so enjoy Higher Lees, Roby Mill is something that gets in the way when I'm heading to Crow Lane. I do not like Roby!!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
sections of Whalley Nab had me concerned about unclipping, especially on one of the tighter corners if something came down the hill!
I met a UPS van very near the top. He wouldn't stop and I wouldn't have got back on if I had. Reckon I squeezed through on about 9" of road.

Worse thing for me on the Nab was when I tried to stand just after the tough bottom section. Road was damp, lost traction and the rear wheel moved as though I was on ice!!!

I love riding Lees Lane from the Roby Mill end. Higher Lees I have only ever climbed, I don't think I fancy the descent. I like hill climbing so enjoy Higher Lees, Roby Mill is something that gets in the way when I'm heading to Crow Lane. I do not like Roby!!!

I always cheat round there. I live on the coast and go up Ashurst from the church. Over the top to Upholland and return up Crow Lane so that I miss out Bank Top.

Yup, I'm chicken:blush:

byegad

Legendary Member
It won't happen. No road in the UK no matter how insignificant, is steeper than what a loaded packhorse could manage so a cyclist can get up it even with a bit of a sweat.

If you're really out of puff just stop, hold the bike on brakes and unclip.
Does that include the 1 in 3 hills so popular in Yorkshire?

Top Bottom