Emissions not tested due to blocking up the machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There's a 2008 Toyota Aygo for sale near me at a very reasonable price. In July 2017 it failed the MOT because, "Emissions not tested due to blocking up the machine."
At the time it had done 96,000 miles. It passed the MOT about 10 days later and again in 2018 and 2019. It has now done 102,000 miles.

Should I avoid this car? Would could block up the emissions test machine other than a defective engine?

screenman

Legendary Member
If it passed 10 days later it would not worry me.

Jody

Stubborn git
Don't worry, it's a Toyota so someone will have stolen the cat in the next couple of weeks anyway :whistle:

I also wouldn't worry about the fail if it has passed for the last couple of years.

Drago

Legendary Member
Avoid they Aygo. Get the C1 or 107. The mechanics and substructure are the same, but the outer body and glass is different. In making their baby different Toyota bestowed it with some truly tragic cabin water leaks. Despite a recall, a technical bulletin and the installation of secondary seals, and 2 x different updated door welts the problem was never cured, and if you get a wet one theres nothing you can do.

Love, Drago (ex VP of the C1OC, which includes Aygo's and 107's, and ex technical contributor to the clubs technical archive.)

tom73

Guru
True the seals can be bad. Mine was done before I bought it and it's not been a problem. Check that the model is not part of a recall for the rear window. The glue sticking it to the hingers maybe a problem on a small number of them. The dealer sorted mine when it went for service.

You can't go wrong with one unlike many small cars they built an engine around the car not the other way round. They are so economical and are great fun to drive.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check for leaks. Other than that a good car. Or better still, a Yaris. Usual check underneith for rust, if you've got a rusty one then it's not been looked after. Ours was rust free underneath at 17 years old.

Top Bottom