Emma Foa's death-verdict announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
RANDOM said:
According to the High Way Code book the right of way does exist also that doesn't give the pedestrian the right to endanger thier life by walking out in front of any vehicle or cyclist for that matter.

"The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others".

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/06.htm

The pedestrian might be doing something stupid as in your example, but the danger comes not from the pedestrian, but from the fast moving heavy vehicle. It might seem pedantic or hair splitting, but it's an important point because it places the burden of responsible driving on the driver.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
col said:
Agreed,but the bad news is,even with cctv footage showing what has happened,not much happens.I think we end up back at the cost and cutback scenario again.

and with cctv we still have people saying 'but maybe she was in the blind spot'?

col

Legendary Member
The pedestrian might be doing something stupid as in your example, but the danger comes not from the pedestrian, but from the fast moving heavy vehicle. It might seem pedantic or hair splitting, but it's an important point because it places the burden of responsible driving on the driver.

Of course you are right,but the can of worms opened is a little more worrying,for example.A pedestrian walks out into a busy road,the vehicle is that close, braking in time isnt an option, it swerves and has an accident,the pedestrian then says,it wasnt my fault.Even though the pedestrian gave no warning,and/or thought the vehicle had seen them.The point is,it doesnt matter how carefull you drive,sometimes there is nothing else to do.Would the driver be responsible for the resulting accident.?

RANDOM

BentMikey said:
"The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others".

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/06.htm

My mistake then, but why does this vehicle have to be fast moving and heavy why not maybe say a careless cyclist who can still injure a pedestrian. and what about the responsiblity of the pedestrian why should it always be left to the driver of the vehicle both parties i would think should have a responsibilty unless we have to get now and hold there hands .Drivers can only account for themselfs and their own actions pedestrians need to look after themself.

RANDOM

what does this right of way come under?

As i have said now my mistake it would probably have been better to say that pedestrian should give way to a ten ton bus when the bus has the green light to continue its journey and that the should hold back till the green man comes on for them instead of forcing the driver into an emergency stop.

Cab

col said:
That was my reason for adding it,it does happen,in fact iv had it twice in the last month.

Then you're driving on planet cretin, a strange and wonderful place where people can continually attempt to commit suicide and fail.

I'm not wasting my time on any more of that kind of fiction.

Cab

RANDOM said:
Of coarse i would no one wants to any one get injured on the road.

So, let me get this absolutely clear...

You're driving along, and you encounter a cyclist in primary position. That means they're where they're safest, in the middle of the lane. You wait to overtake safely, meaning you don't do so until you can do so with at least enough room so that if they fell off to the right, you'd miss them. You then encounter another cyclist, who is doing the same. And in fact, every cyclist does likewise.

And you want that? I don't believe you. I think you'd be moaning loudly about cyclists being in your way.

Fact is, motorists don't want cyclists riding safely. They want cyclists riding out of the way.

Cab

RANDOM said:
Yes not only does that happen have also seen the cyclists weaving in and out of the white lane markings in the middle of the road.So they must be made aware of the dangers also

A greater proportion of motorists break the law than cyclists. Fact. Look up the figures for how many people admit breaking the speeding law. Look at any narrow street with cars parked on the pavement.

I'm all in favour of cyclists obeying the law, but I'm just not having it that cyclists are a special case who need more training than they're currently getting. Perhaps when the number of casualities inflicted on non-cyclists by cyclists is regularly signigficanly more than none per year, you'll have a point. Till then, this is just sour grapes.

RANDOM

You're right. The emphasis needs to move from finding someone to blame, to taking responsibility and control. And away from ownership of the road, to sharing it.

However, 'fast moving and heavy' vehicles kill thousands of people every year. Careless cyclists, while still fully responsible for their actions, don't.

by the way, you didn't answer my question random -are you a bus driver?

Yes i'm and yes i'm also carefully when passing cyclist and when i have passed them will give my mirror a check to make sure they are ok

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Then you're driving on planet cretin, a strange and wonderful place where people can continually attempt to commit suicide and fail.

I'm not wasting my time on any more of that kind of fiction.

If you dont believe what im saying,then yes this is a doomed debate.but i can say these things do happen,and when i first encountered it,i was as shocked as you are disbelieving me.They dont do it to commit suicide i think,but to scare the driver,and score im hard points with their mates.And only when youve nearly come to a stop,do they veer off laughing,at i would guess the strange white colour my face probably is.Im disapointed that you seem to think im making this up,but i dont blame you,it does sound ridiculous.

RANDOM

Cab said:
So, let me get this absolutely clear...

You're driving along, and you encounter a cyclist in primary position. That means they're where they're safest, in the middle of the lane. You wait to overtake safely, meaning you don't do so until you can do so with at least enough room so that if they fell off to the right, you'd miss them. You then encounter another cyclist, who is doing the same. And in fact, every cyclist does likewise.

And you want that? I don't believe you. I think you'd be moaning loudly about cyclists being in your way.

Fact is, motorists don't want cyclists riding safely. They want cyclists riding out of the way.

Maybe thats all you want to believe which is fine if it makes you happy,at the end of the day i do not want a dead cyclist on my consious for the rest of my life.Yes i have moaned about wanting cyclist out of my way no doubt the same way as you have moaned about other vehicle getting your way.As you can't really comment on my driving for the simply reason that you don't what my driving is like i will tell you i will hang back and over take when it is safe to do so.

Cab

RANDOM said:
Yes i have moaned about wanting cyclist out of my way no doubt the same way

Point proved. You can pressure for cyclists to be trained all you like, it'll just lead to you moaning more about us being in your way. Because thats where we're meant to be.

RANDOM

Cab said:
A greater proportion of motorists break the law than cyclists. Fact. Look up the figures for how many people admit breaking the speeding law. Look at any narrow street with cars parked on the pavement.

I'm all in favour of cyclists obeying the law, but I'm just not having it that cyclists are a special case who need more training than they're currently getting. Perhaps when the number of casualities inflicted on non-cyclists by cyclists is regularly signigficanly more than none per year, you'll have a point. Till then, this is just sour grapes.

No i can assure you this is not sour grapes.

RANDOM

Cab said:
Point proved. You can pressure for cyclists to be trained all you like, it'll just lead to you moaning more about us being in your way. Because thats where we're meant to be.

But hold on a minute i also moan about tractors being in my way hell even buses but i still would like to see a safer cyclist on the road than a dead one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom