Emma Foa's death-verdict announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buffalo Bill

bonj said:
I haven't read the whole thread but on reading the OP, the report says the cement mixer is two tonne. I'm sorry but a cement mixer is not two tonne.

Yeah, that's wrong. I think that may have been a typo by the Standard journo who wrote the original report.

Cab

gambatte said:
Seems there are people on here who are assuming the vehicle actually has a blind spot.

Was it argued in court that the vehicle didn't have a blind spot?

RANDOM

Yes all vehicle's have blindspots the cement mixer might be a 3.5 ton truck certainly no more than 7.5 ton.Cyclist could pay for their own training so they can safely ride on the roads.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cab, I do understand what you're getting at, but you're being excessively pedantic and hairsplitting. To be fair though, perhaps yours is a good alternative view to provide balance to spindrift's.

Personally I'm not happy with the verdict or the lack of blame and punishment on the driver.

Cab

BentMikey said:
Cab, I do understand what you're getting at, but you're being excessively pedantic and hairsplitting.

No, I'm really not. The issue here is whether the punishment was fair; if the driver could not see the cyclist, then the the punishment may have been closer to being fair. Personally, I'd increase the penalty for faffing around with paperwork like that, and give someone an outright driving ban for it. But thats not how the law works.

It isn't splitting hairs to point out that, legally, you'd heve to demonstrate that he could see her.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

If everyone clicked on Buffalo Bill's link above it would make a difference.

The cost would be minimal, the implications would be that the old chestnut "blind spot" excuse could not be trotted out.
That's not to say blind spots don't exist, but that for a cost less than the price placed on Emma's life by the courts such blind spots would be eliminated.
Click on the link and make a difference.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

if the driver could not see the cyclist, then the the punishment may have been closer to being fair.

Thereby giving a green light to any motorist who is applying lipstick, chatting on a mobile, or otherwise distracted. All they have to say is "I didn't see you".

Thorn could have checked to see if Emma was there and had he done so Emma would be alive. Your tedious repetition of your baseless assertion that Emma was not visible is getting tiresome, please read the evidence above, the CCTV images were shown in court.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're wrong Cab. Having a blind spot is no excuse for not checking in it to be sure it's clear. Cars have blind spots, and when I was taught to drive I was taught to check that it was clear before manouvering.

Cab

spindrift said:
Thereby giving a green light to any motorist who is applying lipstick, chatting on a mobile, or otherwise distracted. All they have to say is "I didn't see you".

You're seriously comparing that with the possible scenario of a cyclist positioning himself in the blind spot of alarge vehicle? You're an idiot.

Cab

BentMikey said:
You're wrong Cab. Having a blind spot is no excuse for not checking in it to be sure it's clear. Cars have blind spots, and when I was taught to drive I was taught to check that it was clear before manouvering.

And I stated that its a good excuse where?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
if a cab has the mirrors fitted it has no blind spot.

Random, 10 year old kids have the right to be cycling on the road. All drivers, never mind ‘professional’ ones should drive to the conditions. The condition includes the fact that cyclists have the right to be on the road, as do horses etc.

RANDOM

gambatte said:
if a cab has the mirrors fitted it has no blind spot.

Random, 10 year old kids have the right to be cycling on the road. All drivers, never mind ‘professional’ ones should drive to the conditions. The condition includes the fact that cyclists have the right to be on the road, as do horses etc.

Yes all driver should driver to the condition of the High Way Code Book,but cyclist no matter what age they are should all so be made aware of the dangers of the road and still go through some sort of training.The High Way Code Book has after all not left them out and maybe they should take a look themselfs.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That may be, but careless zarks in heavy metal cages are the ones that need to take the ultimate care. It is they that bring significant danger to everyone else, unlike cyclists and pedestrians.

Cab

RANDOM said:
Yes all driver should driver to the condition of the High Way Code Book,but cyclist no matter what age they are should all so be made aware of the dangers of the road and still go through some sort of training.The High Way Code Book has after all not left them out and maybe they should take a look themselfs.

You don't want that though. Cyclists trained en masse to take safe, assertive road positions? Trained to expect good manners from motorists and not to blandly accept aggressive behaviour? You'd hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom