Emmett technique...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never heard of it...link?
Who has suggested it to you? Doctor, physio...? Do you know why you have muscle issues...injury, illness, inflammatory condition?

The response to any therapy is very individual. You can only try and see if it works for you (assuming it’s not contraindicated for any reason)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
Never heard of it...link?
Who has suggested it to you? Doctor, physio...? Do you know why you have muscle issues...injury, illness, inflammatory condition?

The response to any therapy is very individual. You can only try and see if it works for you (assuming it’s not contraindicated for any reason)
Yes I'm aware of the issues I have and it has been mentioned as a possible pain relief by a couple of people in similar situations. It wasn't something I'd even heard of until today.

OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
Apparently, it is a 'light touch therapy'...

The touching of target trigger points is supposed to relax tense muscles.

It sounds unlikely to work, but give it a go and make your own mind up?
That's how it was described to me but two people I work with are very positive about it. It sounds a bit like acupuncture in that it focuses on trigger points. I've always been very skeptical about that but it seems to be a mostly accepted method of pain relief.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's how it was described to me but two people I work with are very positive about it. It sounds a bit like acupuncture in that it focuses on trigger points. I've always been very skeptical about that but it seems to be a mostly accepted method of pain relief.
Have you already tried deep tissue / sports massage and also dry needling (trigger point 'Western' acupuncture)?

I'd give it a go if you know of a good local practitioner...can't see it'll do any harm (except to your wallet). What works for one person doesn't for another (and actually what works for one body part/muscle doesn't necessarily work for another either which is my experience of dry needling)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had awful pain in my feet and went for acupuncture. I was a non believer. They had 2 sessions of putting pins in my ear lobes. Within a week the pain was much reduced. Within 3 weeks the pain had gone. Acupuncture works.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had awful pain in my feet and went for acupuncture. I was a non believer. They had 2 sessions of putting pins in my ear lobes. Within a week the pain was much reduced. Within 3 weeks the pain had gone. Acupuncture works.
What caused the pain, and had you put that right? How long had you had the pain?

If you didn't make any other changes, your feet had been hurting for a year, and then 3 weeks of acupuncture seemed to sort it out, that might support its efficacy.

If your feet had only be hurting for a couple of weeks and/or you had changed shoes (whatever) then the pain might have gone anyway even without the acupuncture treatment.

OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
It makes no sense to the logical part of my brain, but far too many people have seen the benefits for it to be quackery, maybe I'll give it a go.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's Easten acupuncture. Different to Western/dry needling - where the actual painful bit is targeted. I had that in my foot for chronic plantar fasciitis (didn't realy help, shockwave therapy did subsequently)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It makes no sense to the logical part of my brain, but far too many people have seen the benefits for it to be quackery, maybe I'll give it a go.
I totally agree. Not only did I think it was total nonesense. Getting needles stuck in the top of your ears really hurts. But I was at my wits end.

So as a total non believer. My Eureaka moment was very strong. Within a couple of days the pain was subsiding.

It made me realise that that just because we dont understand something, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Be more open minded.

Top Bottom