Emonda ALR 5 vs Emonda SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
If you included a couple of links to these bikes, it would save us all time searching for them.

Also a little about yourself and what sort of cycling you are planning. I'm not sure that my preferences, a 70yr old, would be of any help.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Chances of anyone having owned and ridden both are pretty slim. There's usually plenty reviews online of various bikes. Doesn't really matter which of them we prefer as only you know what your abilities and type of riding are. Maybe if you give a bit more information you might get some answers.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you included a couple of links to these bikes, it would save us all time searching for them.

Also a little about yourself and what sort of cycling you are planning. I'm not sure that my preferences, a 70yr old, would be of any help.
Thanks Sharky I updated the thread

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Chances of anyone having owned and ridden both are pretty slim. There's usually plenty reviews online of various bikes. Doesn't really matter which of them we prefer as only you know what your abilities and type of riding are. Maybe if you give a bit more information you might get some answers.
Thanks I updated the thread

Sharky

Guru
Thanks Sharky I updated the thread
Both showing not available on the links.

To me, both are pretty similar. Both rim brakes (which would be my preference), but trend is now for disc brakes.
Will be difficult, but you just need to go and try one.
Getting the right size is key. No matter how long you spend looking at geometry charts, you just need to sit on one.

Best of luck and report back on your sprint triathlon.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Both showing not available on the links.

To me, both are pretty similar. Both rim brakes (which would be my preference), but trend is now for disc brakes.
Will be difficult, but you just need to go and try one.
Getting the right size is key. No matter how long you spend looking at geometry charts, you just need to sit on one.

Best of luck and report back on your sprint triathlon.
Thanks Sharky, the ALR5 has disc. I have 2 dealers that stated they have them in stock. however one is only 100km away and they other is 400km. If bought the SL5 I will not be able to try it however the ALR5 is close buy and can try it before buying it. Trek mentioned in their website that 56 is for 6 feet tall not sure if it is enough to rely on the chart and buy online or it is a big investment and I need to try it?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's always best to try out such a big investment although of course looking at your circumstances I appreciate it's not as easy for everyone. I'd go the 100km to sit on one I think, ride it if you can, then you know where you stand with Trek's sizing.

I think if you can't try one, then the best you can hope for is to talk to other Trek owners who are your size. That, coupled with the Trek size chart will give you a feel for what size will be right. If I'm honest I've bought my last two bikes without ever getting on one, but I canvassed other riders my size and I knew to err smaller when in doubt as I don't like to feel too stretched out.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

It's always best to try out such a big investment although of course looking at your circumstances I appreciate it's not as easy for everyone. I'd go the 100km to sit on one I think, ride it if you can, then you know where you stand with Trek's sizing.

I think if you can't try one, then the best you can hope for is to talk to other Trek owners who are your size. That, coupled with the Trek size chart will give you a feel for what size will be right. If I'm honest I've bought my last two bikes without ever getting on one, but I canvassed other riders my size and I knew to err smaller when in doubt as I don't like to feel too stretched out.
great idea. Thank you so much I will do a thread for that.

Sharky

Guru
Thanks Sharky, the ALR5 has disc. I have 2 dealers that stated they have them in stock. however one is only 100km away and they other is 400km. If bought the SL5 I will not be able to try it however the ALR5 is close buy and can try it before buying it. Trek mentioned in their website that 56 is for 6 feet tall not sure if it is enough to rely on the chart and buy online or it is a big investment and I need to try it?
56 should be OK. I am 5'9" and the bike I am riding on the left was a 23" and I have three 56 cm bikes in the garage and are all OK. But I do ride with short cranks, which means the saddle is higher than normal. Always best to go "smaller" if undecided on frame size, as you can always fit longer seat posts and stems.

Good luck

Top Bottom