End for End Your Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As my rear tyre wears quicker than my front tyre, I often swap the front for the rear before replacing them.

Does anybody else practice this?

buddha

Veteran
Nope. As I'd rather not have my front tyre dramatically fail at 30mph in traffic:ohmy:. If the rear goes I (might) have a better chance on controlling it.
I always keep the best (condition) tyre on the front.

Time for a new tyre.

Bay Runner said:
As my rear tyre wears quicker than my front tyre, I often swap the front for the rear before replacing them.

Does anybody else practice this?
I move the front to the rear but the rear gets binned; is that what you mean? You probably already know this but swapping tyres (putting the rear on the front and visa versa) is a No, No; its dangerous. Basically if the rear blows its controllable but if the front blows (due to a worn trye) it is less likely to be controllable. Sheldon probably explains better than me.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since any real saving is just a timing issue (i.e. the interest that can be earned on a sum which is the price of a single tyre over a duration of half their combined life at most), unless one is intending e.g. to sell the bike there is limited incentive to do this for the trouble (not to mention the risk of damaging the tube in the process) - I personally find it much easier to buy than to sell... :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
I change as and when, but the front tyre tends to last for ever and slowly wear out while on the rear the clock is ticking from the moment it gets put on

How many people get a proper front blow out?

D

Deleted member 1258

I will put a new tyre on the front in the autumn and put the old front on the back and bin the worn out back tyre.

battered

Guru
I cheerfully swap identical ftont and rears. Provided the rear is less than completely badgered when you put it on the front all is well. If you put a worn out tyre on the front wheel then you deserve what you get, but a part worn isn't going to let go, why should it?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
battered said:
I cheerfully swap identical ftont and rears. Provided the rear is less than completely badgered when you put it on the front all is well. If you put a worn out tyre on the front wheel then you deserve what you get, but a part worn isn't going to let go, why should it?

Rear tyres tend to 'square-off' which when they are put onm the front make for some dodgy handling. Also rears take more abuse than fronts so are more likely to be cut and damaged (some of which the eye doesn't see). So I go with the above advice, have the best tyre on the front, swap a front to the rear and put the new on the front.

OP
OP
Bay Runner

Bay Runner

Guru
Thanks for your advice and opinions people.

My intention is to swap the rear,which still has plenty of milage still on it, to the front, and put the front on the rear.

I will keep a good eye on both and when they need replacing, it is my intention to get a slicker pair (for less roll resisitance) and then to replace them invidually as and when they show signs of wear and tear.

ASC1951

Guru
Bay Runner said:
My intention is to swap the rear,which still has plenty of milage still on it, to the front, and put the front on the rear.
Isn't this a complete illusion? OK, the old back tyre will last longer on the front than it would have lasted if you had left it on the back - but the tyre you have just put on the back will wear out at exactly the same rate as the old one would have done if you had left it on the back.

You aren't saving anything at all - unless you are prepared to ride with a front tyre more worn than you would accept on the back, in which case you're taking a risk.

battered

Guru
Nobody is suggesting that anyone use a tyre that's dangerously worn.

Here's the saving. Say the front tyre wears from new to needing a change in 4 years, ie 25% a year. The back is 50% a year.

Without the swap, if this is year 2, the bike will need a tyre. If OTOH you change ends, the new back will be 75% worn, as will the front. No tyres needed yet, saving this year of one tyre.

You can carry on riding (in safety, no tyres being excessively worn, no animals were harmed in the typing of this message) until you decide to swap them both at the same time. You can then choose whatever brand or flavour of tyres you wish and replace the pair, and therre are no unloved half worn orphan tyres left over.

As for tyres feeling different after they've been on the back, they may do. It's nothing though compared to putting knobblies back on a MTB after a while on slicks, the first roundabout I came to I thought I was going to have to dismount and kick the thing round the curve.:sad:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Fab Foodie said:
Rear tyres tend to 'square-off' which when they are put onm the front make for some dodgy handling. Also rears take more abuse than fronts so are more likely to be cut and damaged (some of which the eye doesn't see). So I go with the above advice, have the best tyre on the front, swap a front to the rear and put the new on the front.

+1

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ASC1951 said:
Isn't this a complete illusion? OK, the old back tyre will last longer on the front than it would have lasted if you had left it on the back - but the tyre you have just put on the back will wear out at exactly the same rate as the old one would have done if you had left it on the back.

You aren't saving anything at all - unless you are prepared to ride with a front tyre more worn than you would accept on the back, in which case you're taking a risk.
+1

Seems like pointless effort.

Top Bottom