End of Plusnet mobile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gom

Über Member
Recently received an email from Plusnet saying they are no longer offering mobile services to new customers, although they will keep existing customers going “for now”.
As an alternative they suggest I switch now to EE, £10 per month for 10GB + unlimited minutes & text. Given I’m currently on 15GB + unlimited… for £9 a month this hardly seems a bargain. (This plan is way more than I generally need, but occasionally when away from home I have nearly hit the data limit.)

Any suggestions for an alternate provider if (when?) I get bumped to EE?

Fastpedaller

1p mobile? PAYG service which may not be for you if you use data, but maybe worth pricing..... they are on EE network. I believe they are part of EE, which is quite unreal because EE PAYG was costing me 30p a minute, not 1P that err 1P mobile charge! ETA - I've just investigated..... they aren't part of EE, but they use the EE network. It's my understanding that any mobile in UK is linked to one of four major providers (I'm ready to be corrected :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
giff gaff £10 a month gets you 20GB plus unlimited there is also £6 and £8 option with less data

Lebara £5 p/m
  • 3gb 5g Data
  • 1000 UK minutes (includes numbers like 03xx and 084x which is a big help)
  • 1000 UK texts
  • Lebara <> Lebara Unlimited Calls and Texts
  • 100 International mins
I need to talk to them about roaming though, I was in the Isle of Man recently and my phone did not work at apart from for 1 incoming call, a friends mobile on BT Mobile (also now discontinued) did work without issues and just used their normal allowance.

D

Deleted member 26715

1p mobile? PAYG service which may not be for you if you use data, but maybe worth pricing..... they are on EE network. I believe they are part of EE, which is quite unreal because EE PAYG was costing me 30p a minute, not 1P that err 1P mobile charge! ETA - I've just investigated..... they aren't part of EE, but they use the EE network. It's my understanding that any mobile in UK is linked to one of four major providers (I'm ready to be corrected :rolleyes: )

They are MVNO Mobile Virtual Network Operators & as you say have to operate on one of the 4 networks, they buy from the 4 with a range of services they want, but they are also allowed to operate their own number range.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just sit tight and do nothing unless you have to.

I had the same thing with talktalk several years ago. In the end I just got ignored and managed to keep my £3 SIM only deal going without any annual price rises or anything until I recently jumped ship voluntarily.

You might find that if enough people leave, the remaining stragglers just get forgotten about as it isn't worth the admin to sort you out. Worth a try?

Gwylan

Veteran
Recently received an email from Plusnet saying they are no longer offering mobile services to new customers, although they will keep existing customers going “for now”.
As an alternative they suggest I switch now to EE, £10 per month for 10GB + unlimited minutes & text. Given I’m currently on 15GB + unlimited… for £9 a month this hardly seems a bargain. (This plan is way more than I generally need, but occasionally when away from home I have nearly hit the data limit.)

Any suggestions for an alternate provider if (when?) I get bumped to EE?

1p mobile, if you can cope with their combination tariffs.
We have Lebara, look on money saving expert. They had a good deal

Last edited:
They are MVNO Mobile Virtual Network Operators & as you say have to operate on one of the 4 networks, they buy from the 4 with a range of services they want, but they are also allowed to operate their own number range.

Coverage wise there's only 2 networks effectively as Voda and O2 share sites and equipment as does EE with 3 and as already mentioned all other 'providers' simply supply a package using one of the above.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
most companies are pretty competitive now. I'm on vodafone 12.5G data plus unlimited everything, my "contract" was £8/month but they've just put it up to £9.25. Must have been written in the small print I guess, but that's not what I call a contract when you can just chnage the terms midway through. Depends what area you live in, see what sort of reception friends/family get with other providers and as long as neither is worse than the other, go with the cheapest and expect bad customer service/price hikes whoever you go with (IME)

Top Bottom