1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Bars

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by mondobongo, 30 Dec 2007.

1. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Interesting article on energy bars here good explanation of whats going on during exercise. Looks at possible future developments taste tests a few of the current bars unfortunately does not explain why they taste like mouldy cardboard.

2. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

them and gels all taste awful xx(:rolleyes:

3. jamesstout

jamesstout New Member

cliff bars rock but you can't get any good flavours over here :ohmy:

4. walker

walker New Member

Cycle Surgery do a range of about 4 flavours

5. andygates

andygates New Member

Apple cardboard. Berry cardboard. Tropical packing case. Coffee-Choc MDF.

6. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

I like the bananananananana Torq bars and the SiS cherry ones...

And the High5 enegery gel plus in raspberry is *delicious*

7. OP
    OP
    mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

The pineapple and ginger torq bars are delicious.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

SiS banana bars are nice IMHO. Can't stand Powerbars though.

9. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

clif bars are quite tasty and have a lower cardboard quota than some other bars

10. campagman

campagman Über Member

I make my own so I know what's in them. Plenty of recipes can be found on the Net.

11. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Gels - I am sure they were invented by a gay man to let us all have a taste. Horrid.

12. jamesstout

jamesstout New Member

i once got handed up a gel in a race and someone looked at it and said "oh power gel is it" "yes" i replied he responded "its like having a bloke ... in your mouth" that about sums it up really

all the homemade bars are quite high in fat really

13. Blonde

Blonde New Member

No, it really isn't - because I don't like the gels! ;)

'Trek' bars are also good and so are 'Nak'd' - but not the chocolate ones. I don't like chocolate when cycling anyway. I have to be in the mood for it - a bit like the above really!

SIS ones are ok in apple - no other flavour though.

14. jamesstout

jamesstout New Member

haha that's great! maybe you should try the added sodium powergel!

the usa seems to have loads of different brands like gu and clif shot which look nice. Also sports beans are a good recent import.

never been a fan of the sis gels i got some of the new red ones pre production and they KEPT exploding when i tried to open them!

15. stevenb

stevenb New Member

For me it's choccy bars.
    Sainsbury do a pack of 8 bars chocolate with nuts and nougat....like snickers.
    They are tasty...although very chewy (jaw aches) but most certainly help release the much needed calories. Bananas themselves are good for long rides although they need to eaten fairly early on as they are a slower releasing food.
    My mate let me have of his gel sachets yesterday as I was almost hitting the wall......it was like swallowing shower gel....weird...but effective anyway. I overlook what taste is when riding....as long as it works then it's good enough for me. :biggrin: