Energy Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Interesting article on energy bars here good explanation of whats going on during exercise. Looks at possible future developments taste tests a few of the current bars unfortunately does not explain why they taste like mouldy cardboard.

mondobongo said:
unfortunately does not explain why they taste like mouldy cardboard.

them and gels all taste awful xx(:rolleyes:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
clif bars are quite tasty and have a lower cardboard quota than some other bars

jamesstout

i once got handed up a gel in a race and someone looked at it and said "oh power gel is it" "yes" i replied he responded "its like having a bloke ... in your mouth" that about sums it up really

all the homemade bars are quite high in fat really

Blonde

jamesstout said:
he responded "its like having a bloke ... in your mouth" that about sums it up really
No, it really isn't - because I don't like the gels! ;)

'Trek' bars are also good and so are 'Nak'd' - but not the chocolate ones. I don't like chocolate when cycling anyway. I have to be in the mood for it - a bit like the above really!

SIS ones are ok in apple - no other flavour though.

jamesstout

Blonde said:
No, it really isn't - because I don't like the gels! :biggrin:

'Trek' bars are also good and so are 'Nak'd' - but not the chocolate ones. I don't like chocolate when cycling anyway. I have to be in the mood for it - a bit like the above really!

SIS ones are ok in apple - no other flavour though.
haha that's great! maybe you should try the added sodium powergel!

the usa seems to have loads of different brands like gu and clif shot which look nice. Also sports beans are a good recent import.

never been a fan of the sis gels i got some of the new red ones pre production and they KEPT exploding when i tried to open them!

stevenb

For me it's choccy bars.
Sainsbury do a pack of 8 bars chocolate with nuts and nougat....like snickers.
They are tasty...although very chewy (jaw aches) but most certainly help release the much needed calories. Bananas themselves are good for long rides although they need to eaten fairly early on as they are a slower releasing food.
My mate let me have of his gel sachets yesterday as I was almost hitting the wall......it was like swallowing shower gel....weird...but effective anyway. I overlook what taste is when riding....as long as it works then it's good enough for me. :biggrin:

Top Bottom