Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Isn't that about 10% of the usage though ? What's the 90% ?
It's the base load.
Based on readings last night it settled at an average of about 1.4 amps, but that's a fairly significant improvement on the situation I had with some old appliances, so I'm encouraged but not relaxing yet because my target is 0.5 amps.

Time to measure power at individual devices.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It's the base load.
Based on readings last night it settled at an average of about 1.4 amps, but that's a fairly significant improvement on the situation I had with some old appliances, so I'm encouraged but not relaxing yet because my target is 0.5 amps.

How many watts or WH???Not sure anyone measured in amps and would know how much that is tbh

midlife

Guru
British Gas says that if I mirror last years use then this year's electric bill will be £3329. Plus the heating oil which is another £3000 or so....

Cutting down like most people, but just trying to work out how much the septic tank / sewage treatment costs. Tricel nuvo 12 seems to run at 100 watts

The tariff I'm on is about 36p KWH, is that about £315 a year or have I got my maths wrong?

presta

Guru
It's the base load.

What are you measuring, and what with?
You need a power meter really, if you measure current you're just getting yourself into a whole load of additional complication and errors with reactive and/or non-linear loads.
The tariff I'm on is about 36p KWH, is that about £315 a year or have I got my maths wrong?
That's correct, assuming that your 100W is continuous, 24/7.

Buck

Guru
British Gas says that if I mirror last years use then this year's electric bill will be £3329. Plus the heating oil which is another £3000 or so....

Cutting down like most people, but just trying to work out how much the septic tank / sewage treatment costs. Tricel nuvo 12 seems to run at 100 watts

That’s what I work it out at 0.1kWh x 24 x 365 “ £315.36

midlife

Guru
You need a power meter really, if you measure current you're just getting yourself into a whole load of additional complication and errors with reactive and/or non-linear loads.

That's correct, assuming that your 100W is continuous, 24/7.

That’s what I work it out at 0.1kWh x 24 x 365 “ £315.36

Thanks, Best ask the neighbours who use it as well to contribute.....

midlife

Guru
Show me where he states volts in his post???

Presumably 240 volts domestic supply?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Presumably 240 volts domestic supply?
But a presumption and if it turns out to be three phase, it all needs recalculating, so I can understand a volunteer not wanting to waste time trying to help someone being confusing, even if unintentional.

One problem with the energy crisis is that many chickens of insulting and sidelining basic school science and maths, allowing a culture to develop where it's often seen as cool to call basic tasks difficult or to fail at them, are now coming home to roost. This is not a political point: Successive governments of all colours have failed to teach this country the skills to manage energy economy and there's little sign those not in power would have.

midlife

Guru
But a presumption and if it turns out to be three phase, it all needs recalculating, so I can understand a volunteer not wanting to waste time trying to help someone being confusing, even if unintentional.

One problem with the energy crisis is that many chickens of insulting and sidelining basic school science and maths, allowing a culture to develop where it's often seen as cool to call basic tasks difficult or to fail at them, are now coming home to roost. This is not a political point: Successive governments of all colours have failed to teach this country the skills to manage energy economy and there's little sign those not in power would have.

I was always taught that if you hear the sound of approaching hooves then it's likely a horse and not a zebra. :smile:

ChrisKz

I'm on £133 a month . Only me and 3 cats . Thats gas and elecric .... I was paying that when the PIP got screwed up and was paying off the debt .. so no change for me ( Just Debt clear now for 4 months) So don't have to change my habits/lifestyle

classic33

Leg End Member

How many houses with three phase electrics though. And three phase game consoles, and other appliances that can be unplugged?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/energy-bill-increases.278128/post-6833259

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Smart plugs to measure individual appliances. There's a companion phone app to read spot power measurements, and cumulative unit count. Have no idea of their accuracy.

Yep - I added a 'power meter' on my incoming supply, but it only measures current in a meter tail, and then does a VA calculation to estimate power. I periodically update the configuration with a voltage reading (251 at the mo) and the unit cost, and it tells me power usage, unit count, cost per hour and cumulative cost.

Getting a proper smart meter in a couple of weeks, so am not bothered about the accuracy of the existing kit. "Indicative" is good enough, I hope.

I did think that kite-marked appliances had to play nicely (within certain bounds) to compensate for reactive components. In which case VA is very close to actual power.

Top Bottom