Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another point on tumble drying: energy efficiency ratings on vented dryers are not on the same scale as those on condenser dryers. Very few condenser dryers use less energy per cycle than a vented dryer, even though the vented dryer might be rated B or C and the condenser dryer A.

Both of which are terrible in efficiency compared to a heat pump dryer. I would recommend that anyone buying a new machine get a heat pump dryer unless you have very specific needs in terms of speed of drying or someone else is paying your electricity bill.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Both of which are terrible in efficiency compared to a heat pump dryer. I would recommend that anyone buying a new machine get a heat pump dryer unless you have very specific needs in terms of speed of drying or someone else is paying your electricity bill.
Hmm , nowt wrong with our current tumble dryer, I tend to not use it much. However others in the household do. As too lazy to leave clothes on the air dryer .

However I’m all ears for saving cash :becool:

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hmm , nowt wrong with our current tumble dryer, I tend to not use it much. However others in the household do. As too lazy to leave clothes on the air dryer .

However I’m all ears for saving cash :becool:

Heat pump dryer is about half the energy use, but twice the cost. You need to make sure you keep the heat pump model going for a few years to make it cheaper. With energy prices going up it could be pay back within a couple of years. However, better still is to dry it outside or use a dehumidifier.

presta

Guru
I don't have the radiator on in my kitchen either; logic is this... the fridge and freezer chuck out a bit of heat just by being 'on'. The oven and hob chucks out more when I'm cooking. Having three outside walls it's (in theory) the coldest room in the house, but it doesn't feel like it.

My kitchen gets like the inside of the freezer, even with the radiator full up. I think the problem is the condensing boiler, the old non-condensing one chucked out so much heat it was like having a second radiator.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My kitchen gets like the inside of the freezer, even with the radiator full up. I think the problem is the condensing boiler, the old non-condensing one chucked out so much heat it was like having a second radiator.
Condensing shouldn't itself make much difference to that. It sounds like your new boiler runs the heating at a lower flow temperature, which is good for efficiency but won't work if one of your radiators is undersized relative to the others.

You might also find that a younger plumber or one trained overseas has changed the system layout slightly from the bad old British habit of dumping energy through an "index" radiator near the boiler to plumbing it correctly so it doesn't get any priority, expecting your radiators to be balanced.

Last edited:

mjr

Heat pump dryer is about half the energy use, but twice the cost. You need to make sure you keep the heat pump model going for a few years to make it cheaper. With energy prices going up it could be pay back within a couple of years. However, better still is to dry it outside or use a dehumidifier.
This basically agrees and gives example numbers : Best Heat Pump Tumble Dryers 2022: Which? Best Buys & Expert Buying Guide - Which? – https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tum...-pump-tumble-dryers-better-than-vented-dryers

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
does no one have a washing line?

Not very effective when it's raining! And no-one has mentioned the argument my ex had: If dried on a line, you have to iron the clothes more. Often when they come out of the tumble drier, they can be folded neatly and worn without ironing. I don't have a tumble drier, so dry in the spare room with a dehumidifier, or out on the line when weather is ok, but still have to iron most things before they can be worn

D

Deleted member 1258

All this talk of tumble dryers, does no one have a washing line? We try to wash on what my mother used to call "a good drying day." Yes, we do have a dryer but try to avoid using it.

A good tip to help dry clothes is an extra spin, ours last 13 minutes and some items come out almost dry.

We only have the washing line and a clothes horse in the back bedroom.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
All this talk of tumble dryers, does no one have a washing line? We try to wash on what my mother used to call "a good drying day." Yes, we do have a dryer but try to avoid using it.

A good tip to help dry clothes is an extra spin, ours last 13 minutes and some items come out almost dry.

Yep have a washing line , which gets lots of use just now. However in winter no chance .

mjr

Not very effective when it's raining! And no-one has mentioned the argument my ex had: If dried on a line, you have to iron the clothes more. Often when they come out of the tumble drier, they can be folded neatly and worn without ironing. I don't have a tumble drier, so dry in the spare room with a dehumidifier, or out on the line when weather is ok, but still have to iron most things before they can be worn
Reshape the clothes before hanging on the line and most things don't need ironing. You'll be lucky not to iron smart trousers, though.

No dryer here. Only the line and a heated tented airer. Not had a dryer since leaving parental home, except when renting furnished places with one. Not entirely sure my parents had one, but we children were kept away from the machines because they were a bit mission-critical with us mucky kids about!

vickster

Legendary Member
I hang stuff on the line if the weather is suitable...however bedding always gets a 20 minute blast in the tumble dryer after to soften it up a bit...and get rid of the cat hair!!! :laugh:

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I do all the washing (and ironing). The tumble drier will be the last appliance I'll give up.

Top Bottom