Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I also think there is an element of providers not wanting you to fix ! Why else would they want you to fix it for two years at this !!!!!????
Historically energy providers have always PUSHED fixed rates, because they actually make a tidy profit. Whats happening now is the domestic price cap is preventing energy providers from charging the consumer the actual going rate/cost of energy, hence why a whole load of them went bankrupt.

The actual cost of electricity and gas is far higher than the price cap at present. The government is only going to have 2 options soon, let energy companies pass on all the additional costs (currently upto 90p/kWh for electricity) to the consumer, or nationalise everything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Business are now been quoted 91p/kWh (no that isn't a typo)!!! Bare in mind Russia is still supplying gas to German, whats going to happen come winter when Putin turns the taps off completely:sad:.

Yikes... I'll be ensuring daughter's Xbox and PS4 aren't on standby.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its all certainly making people aware of what they're doing and its cost and what they can buy to mitigate it. My son has just brought a new fan, the old one was 80w and not particually good at moving air, new one is DC voltage 20w and is so much better.
Our old trusty plasma tv, one I'd hung onto for years because of its picture quality, recently gone and I'm glad in a way, itsenergy consumption was 4 times higher than newer tvs.
The good to come from all this is we're being forced to reduce consumption. The environmental impact must surely be good.

It will also teach some to budget better...I know two families, one from my own, on benefits who squander their money on takeaway several times a week and yet don't pay bills and get into debt. You'd like to think this will be a wake up call for some and act responsibly, with some financial discipline.

fossyant

We had a light fitting that took 8 x 20w halogen bulbs. Those were changed for 2w LED's, and as well as a massive reduction in power, heat was also reduced (the main reason TBH). Even two old security lights that had 150w bulbs in, have had 10w retrofit LED's fitted. I don't think the bike garage will have the tube heater on this year ! :sad:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
yeh it is certainly making people look at what they use and consume.......its an eye opener for sure. But not everyone can go around replacing things for lower energy consumption products.

D

Deleted member 26715

But not everyone can go around replacing things for lower energy consumption products.
Agreed, especially as the price of the replacements are going up in price as well.

The TV along with the sound bar & network hub all come off a 4 way gang, think I'll be looking at how that can go via a switch over the weekend.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Agreed, especially as the price of the replacements are going up in price as well.

The TV along with the sound bar & network hub all come off a 4 way gang, think I'll be looking at how that can go via a switch over the weekend.

i got them on a gang with individual switches, so switch 2 off ( TV and Soundbar) leave SkyQ running

fossyant

LED bulbs are particularly expensive. We were thinking of changing the bulbs in MIL's house for the energy rating, but just changed those we could for halogen - would have been hideously expensive for a house we are selling.

I think it cost me over £30 to change the five candle bulbs in the lounge to LED - that said, not one has blown, unlike the so called energy saving 'halogens' that one would blow on a weekly basis.

si_c

Guru
LED bulbs are particularly expensive. We were thinking of changing the bulbs in MIL's house for the energy rating, but just changed those we could for halogen - would have been hideously expensive for a house we are selling.

I think it cost me over £30 to change the five candle bulbs in the lounge to LED - that said, not one has blown, unlike the so called energy saving 'halogens' that one would blow on a weekly basis.

Depends on the bulbs, when we moved into the new house the old bulbs were a mix of the fluorescent tube types, halogen and incandescent (I would have all incandescent bulbs if I could, cost be damned, I prefer the light they give out) but we replaced them all with 100W equivalent LEDS from amazon, cost about £2 each. Edit: those bulbs are about 5W each.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

It would be interesting to work out the payback time.

AFAICT the price cap is forecast to go up to something like 50p/kwh.

A 60W bulb costs 3p/hr to run at that price.

A 60W equivalent LED costs £4 each from b&q and uses only 10W

So payback is roughly 160 hours run time, maybe as little as 1 month in a well used room in winter, perhaps a year if in a little used room.

I may have done my sums wrong of course, and there is the issue that if your hearing is on a thermostat, it will in principle need to put on an equivalent amount more energy to make up for that no longer coming from the bulb.

But I reckon unless you can't afford to eat, there is probably no better investment you can make.

D

Deleted member 26715

i got them on a gang with individual switches, so switch 2 off ( TV and Soundbar) leave SkyQ running

Unfortunately my gang is on the wall behind the TV & cannot be got to, it goes down the wall & into a socket under the floor. I wonder how much current one of those Alexa sockets use in standby mode, as that would be the logical option, save any wiring etc.

It's is really sad for a country that initiated the world first civil nuclear program in 1956 to see its citizens counting power consumption of fans and bulbs. What about those who can't afford heating in winter. Many of them suffer in silence and in their old age it is not at all fair.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's is really sad for a country that initiated the world first civil nuclear program in 1956 to see its citizens counting power consumption of fans and bulbs. What about those who can't afford heating in winter. Many of them suffer in silence and in their old age it is not at all fair.

I still have storage heaters. I quite like them anyway. As it’s a bungalow I’m going to try and get by this winter with just the hall one on and letting the heat from that get to the other rooms. I can see a few days with.a fleecy blanket over me will be required!

Top Bottom