Energy drink - anything less, er, windy than maltodextrin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I use maltodextrin in my drink bottle for long rides and it being pure carbohydrate, for a couple of hours after the ride I'm in discomfort with trapped wind and farting like a horse.

Is there any carbohydrate that won't have this unfortunate side-effect?

midlife

Guru
The less complex the carbohydrate the less there is to reach the large intestine and be broken down by the bacteria there?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also use maltodextrin on longer rides (>= 50 miles). I have never noticed that side effect!

Perhaps it is down to your particular gut bacteria? I have seen a few interesting documentaries recently which discussed how important the right balance of gut bacteria is.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, my cycling buddy who you've met and who is a gastroenterologist tells me that as you enter your 50s and 60s you are less able to digest carbohydrates. Also for the same reason milk is an increasing problem because your body produces less of the enzyme lactase.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like I won't be far behind you then. (Being the same age, developing the problem, that is ... If you have that problem then I would be as far as possible behind you! :laugh:)

A mate of mine who is 64 is cutting back on cheese because he isn't finding it easy to digest these days.

midlife

Guru
Sounds like I won't be far behind you then. (Being the same age, developing the problem, that is ... If you have that problem then I would be as far as possible behind you! :laugh:)

A mate of mine who is 64 is cutting back on cheese because he isn't finding it easy to digest these days.

Yup, small intestine produces less lactase when older, however lactose free cheese is available for your mate. Not sure on taste though.....

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
We already drink lactose free milk and it's actually better in tea than semi-skimmed cow juice; it tastes less fatty.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not sure what brand you've used so far but High5 energy source has a lower maltodextrin / higher fructose balance than some (65/35)... I've never had a wind problem after or during use.
The real ale in the pub afterwards is another matter, and on some nights I've inadvertently convinced my wife that the Emma Maersk is docking in the back garden.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ah yes we usually stop at the Swan With Two Necks on the way home from the Wednesday evening hooligan ride but one pint of session bitter is only a problem over the last 2 miles when it sloshes around in the stomach a bit.

midlife

Guru
Ah yes we usually stop at the Swan With Two Necks on the way home from the Wednesday evening hooligan ride but one pint of session bitter is only a problem over the last 2 miles when it sloshes around in the stomach a bit.

Swan with Two Nicks in Little Bollington?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No the Swan With Two Necks in Pendleton, Lancashire. Pendle witch country, dontcha know. Oh, and MP Nigel Evans's watering hole.

Top Bottom