Energy drinks/fruit juice and getting fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plank

Sugar causes an raise in insulin which incourages fat storage and discourages the use of fat as an energy source. Eg sugar (or starch) will make you fat , keep you fat and leave you low on energy after the first hit has gone.

When I eat a sugary or starchy breakfast or lunch I almost fall asleep at my desk a few hours later. Perfect time for an energy drink to peak me up! ermm no.

Just avoid them :cold: but also pay attention to sugar or starch intake which would make you feel like needing them in the first place.

I don't think there is a problem with caffeine unless you are unable to get to sleep or suffer withdrawals when you don't have it. Watch out if you buy bulk caffeine powder as its possible to overdose with serious side effects!

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Watch out if you buy bulk caffeine powder as its possible to overdose with serious side effects!

Yeah, this is something that I wish more people were aware of. The serious side effect is a massive heart attack and it really doesn't take that much caffeine to achieve this.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Well, I've definitely put on weight. The only real change being the amount of these energy drinks I've been having.

Gone from 13 stone to 13 stone 7 pounds in a couple of weeks. Was quite shocked to clock in at that today to be honest, as I've gone as low as 12 stone 8 and was checking my weight almost everyday for a month prior and my weight was only varying by a few pounds and never really above 13 stone.

There have been times when I've upped my jaffa cake, rice pudding or porridge intake too and not experienced weight gain like this.

The period I gained the most weight in my life, several stone over a short period coincided with an addiction to fruit juice and smoothies. Seems sugary drinks are the one thing I should avoid if I wan to keep my weight down.

Bill Gates

There is so much information around about what and when to eat and drink we lose sight of doing what comes naturally. Most of us aren't training 3/4 hours a day to compete in a grand tour so don't need to fine tune our diets to such a degree that it takes away from the enjoyment of living a healthy lifestyle.

Eat and drink what you like and when you feel like it; ride your bike for fun and compete if you get fit enough is my motto from now on.

yello

plank said:
Sugar causes an raise in insulin which incourages fat storage and discourages the use of fat as an energy source.

I was going to say that.

Added to that, you don't burn quite as fat as you might might have been lead to believe when cycling (or exercise generally). Exercise is good for general health but not all it's cracked up to be for weight loss. Diet (as opposed to dieting) remains the best solution for that.

So, putting the two together, you have to be careful what you drink/eat during/after cycling. You could just be putting on weight!

The darned annoying thing is that you (well, I!) have a bad case of the munchies when I get in after a ride. Jimbo will be along shortly to tell you of his knob (of butter).

toroddf

There is no doubts that caffeine makes the fat burning easier. I drink a mug of coffee before I do a bike ride.
I also use bananas a lot. In fact; my bike is always loaded up with bananas when I cycle. This on the advice of my doctor.
I do not believe in the mumbu-jumbo stuff. Bananas, a hamburger half way through the day, watered out juice on my flasks and some coffee makes me do 100 miles on the bike without too much problems. And I am a twenty stones full rigger.
Most of the cycling on a 100 miler happens between the two ears anyway. Concentrate on the next one hundred yards/meters and the 100 miles will come naturally.

Top Bottom