Energy drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use high five zero on long rides or water under 25 miles , i prefer to replace calories with cake :smile:
As others have said theres really no need for it and i once did a ride after drinking one of these "energy" drinks and got stomach cramps.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Flapjack one pocket, Banana in the other

A lot of people have suggested a pinch of salt in your squash or water..... Why.... what would it do for me?
Commute is 8 mile e/w, day off rides are 20 - 30 miles...... would I see any benefits

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
Watered down Asda Isotonic, works for me. I've never thought of trying monster, red bull or the like for cycling as I've always thought of them as a short term hit of stimulant (although I suppose in some instances that is what you need).

I'd advise trying things and working out what works best for yourself, we are all different.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A lot of people have suggested a pinch of salt in your squash or water..... Why.... what would it do for me?
Commute is 8 mile e/w, day off rides are 20 - 30 miles...... would I see any benefits

Note: We may as well carry on this interesting thread even though O.P has flounced......

Adding salt helps replace any lost through sweat. However I very much doubt they would really help over the distances you mention, I only add salt to my drinks on rides of 50 miles plus

Adding salt helps replace any lost through sweat. However I very much doubt they would really help over the distances you mention, I only add salt to my drinks on rides of 50 miles plus
I did assume that was the reason... and wondered if it would do anything for my relatively short distances

Thanks for reply

sheffgirl

I avoid energy drinks, used to have them to stay awake at work after very little sleep, but I started getting heart palpitations and feeling jittery if I had too much. Not really had those symptoms since I stopped having them.
I just have water or squash but I don't drink it while I am riding, I try not to stop. But this may change in the summer when its hotter.

nxn2020

Some guys at work drink relentless etc and the smell is enough to put me off, they just smell so strong! I'm not a great believer in these things and was sceptical about the worth of 'sports' additives. I used to run with just water but made me feel bloated and uncomfortable. Just added bit of squash and ok. Then my wife got me some Maxifuel viper, didn't believe in it but tried it anyway and, yes I do believe it works. As for red bull etc. ...use the wings to fly away from that sh#$!!!!!!

They are awful and addictive - I have a bad Monster habit that is proving hard to kick (and I kicked cigarettes)

Only time I've ever really appreciated one was after a 9 hour to Glencoe (with a diversion to Preston to pick up a dog from kennels and take it to a rescue near the Ayrshire coast), pitching the tent, going for a short walk up the lost valley, carrying on "a bit further" and ending up Stob Coire Sgreamhach, involving a scramble around snowdrifts. Back to the tent for 8pm after getting up at 3am, slightly hallucinating.

Then, it gave me the spike I needed to get the stove out and cook a meal to sort me out properly

jack smith

Veteran
The chav drink of choice, they all seem to have plenty of energy doing things they shouldn't lol, I drank them like water all though school and college just for the taste I never got anything from them energy wise but I always felt terrible after them, I have had two high 5 caffine tablets on separate occasions and both times I thought I was having heart failure with severe chest pain and palpitations, never again!

oliglynn

Über Member
i use hi-5 tabs in my water bottle. If doing a longer ride 50mi + i'll take 1 bottle of H20, 1 bottle H2O+Hi5 (or sugar free squash), and a lucozade sport in my pocket.

Combine all 3 drinks throughout the ride, water for refreshment, Hi5 / squash for salts, lucozade for additional energy. I only sip the lucozade as I go, to avoid sugar highs/lows

Has anyone seen the breakfast shake fuel full of carbs and protein and next to no fat and full of vitamins av been having them with my breakfast every morning and about the same price as the energy drinks

Top Bottom