Energy drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
Does anyone use energy drinks when cycling?

Does it "boost" your energy giving you more fuel to burn?

Anyone drink Monster, Relentless, etc etc?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
No.. Processed sugary crap. Such drinks spike your blood sugars and contain exceptionally high quantity of caffine

MattE72

The only time I ever used something like that was when I got lost, ended up miles from were I should've been and realised I'd forgotten my drink! I nipped into a corner shop for a Lucozade Isotonic and it did give me a bit of a boost to get me home. I imagine that I'd have got the same kick from a can of coke though. Personally I think they're a bit of a rip-off. I normally stick to water with a bit of salt in. And some squash to mask the taste salt! Much cheaper.

BrynCP

Über Member
I drink sugar free relentless and monster for the caffeine (as I don't drink tea/coffee/coke etc.) but only after rides, never before/during. They have a minor effect in that I don't nap.

During my ride: one bottle of water, and one bottle of roughly 50/50 pure orange/water + little salt

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Water only. Normally carried only as ballast, but occasionally vital. Those energy drinks are nasty sugary gunk, in my view. Not many at my club ever use them, but those that do swear by them, so don't let us put you off trying them.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
No.. Processed sugary crap. Such drinks spike your blood sugars and contain exceptionally high quantity of caffine
^^^^^Agreed ^^^^^
Only time iv ever drank monster is when I was struggling on a night shift and I got hooked on the stuff. Didn't take long to realise it was doing me no good !
Had the s***s all the time and was extremely gassy (more than usual)

screenman

Legendary Member
Most of my life I have slept badly, waking every hour or even less, tried all sorts of things prescription and otherwise. 3 weeks ago I stopped sugar which was hard I am 58 and adored anything sweet, 2 weeks on I am more mellow and actually sleeping all night.

Would I drink a so called energy drink, NO WAY!

Top Bottom