Engine off in car park.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
In some places I have come across you can pay for your parking by phone, well it seems even if you are parked up but the engine is not switched off you can be breaking the law. Lincoln City Council do not put that on the notices. It came to my attention as a customer of mine got nicked last week in a Macdonalds. Must admit although I certainly do not use the phone when driving I would not think to turn the engine off prior to paying for the car park.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How would the ANPR cameras know whether the engine was running or not?

Your customer was not breaking any law; the owner of the land on which the McDonalds franchise stands wants to frighten her into paying some money for parking on their land - that's a civil matter between her and the owner. It also has nothing to do with Lincoln City Council, unless she was on a council car park and nothing to do with the Police unless she was breaking a traffic law.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2904096, member: 45"]So your friend was in a McDonald's car park, parked up but with the engine running, dialing in to pay for her parking ticket on her phone and the police ticketed her?[/quote]
Bit sexist.

No he was waiting for his son to come out with the grub he had the engine running to keep the car warm and mist free, the phone rung and he answered it.

Stop being so picky and pedantic, I was purely offering up a little bit of advice to those who like me may not have known the rules.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes, as I understand it, it is illegal for the driver of a vehicle to use a mobile phone while the engine is running, even if parked.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
You should have at least 5 minutes to pay for parking, although some of these online payment methods can take this long to set up, also beware if parking overnight some of these parking payment systems automatically cancel at midnight so you must re-enable to payment before the charging period starts again.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
2904152 said:
No kebab shop?
This was tea break for them, kebab shop is always dinner, Freds cafe breakfast, they have standards you know.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
2904161 said:
[quote="screenman, post: 2904115, member: 371the phone rung and he answered it
I'm confused, is the paying for parking bit a red herring?[/quote]

No, it came up when I started looking into the subject a bit more.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2904219, member: 45"]And I still don't understand what paying for parking by phone has to do with anything.[/quote]
Somehow I did not think you would. Never mind.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 2904219, member: 45"]And I still don't understand what paying for parking by phone has to do with anything.[/quote]

It's just an example of a circumstance where you might unthinkingly use your mobile while your engine is still running.

Venod

Eh up
I thought the original post was about parking, but I see now its about using the mobile with the engine running, are you saying Lincoln City Council should warn people to turn of their engines before paying for parking ?

Top Bottom