Engineering question - how to spin a cylindrical shaft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Bit of advice sought from you engineering types out there please.

I have a reel mower; the only way to sharpen the blades is to spin the shaft (and blades) backwards against the bottom plate (backlapping) with some cutting grease. The shaft is cylindrical but has no notches or profiles on it. I have managed to hammer a socket onto it before so that I can spin it with my drill, but this is destroying the shaft and the sockets. Also it only holds for so long, and then slips.

Can anyone think of a better way to do it? I cannot weld tabs on the end (which a socket will reach) becasue it is cheap metal and also needs to fit into the wheel where it clips in with a circlip. The only other thing I thought would work is maybe cut a keyway into the shaft with a grinder, and getting something that resembles a shaft key that would fit in between the shaft and a socket?

TIA

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I know its very un-manly to raise this, but what does the instruction manual suggest re sharpening?

Jameshow

Veteran
Most cricket clubs use a cylinder mower so companies are around who do sharpen them.
You could mount a pulley on the shaft and drive that via a v belt and a small electric motor say 1/4 hp?

Top Bottom