England to Munich in 5 days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris__P

Hey I want to try to cycle to Munich in 5 or 6 days. I cannot leave the UK until the 28th of September due to other commitments, but my goal is to reach Munich before the end of Oktoberfest (last day is 4th October) Then I want to cycle up through Germany to Kiel.

Anyway, my question is, can anyone recommend a quick route from here to Munich? Anyone done it? Anyone know of a good free online source for european cycle routes, particularly of the German variety?

Much obliged

Chris

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Calais to Munich is something like 950km, on a reasonably direct route. I hope you are feeling fit, bearing in mind that daylight is restricted in October.
I'd probably look at a route along the lines of Calais - Arras - Metz - Tubingen - Munich, but I'd also look at a train for part of the route,which would probably change things.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Put simply head directly east through Belgium and Holland from the channel and make sure you stay on the N German plain. Head for the gap in the hills where the R Weser breaks through them near Porta Westfalica and Minden. Head down the Weser and at Hannoverische Münden follow the Fulda. Go over the Rhön hills and down the Sinn valley. When you get to the River Main head upstream to Würzburg and then turn south and follow the Romantische Straße to Augsburg. From Augsburg turn east to Munich.

You can get Bikeline guides for the Weser, Fulda, Main (although that stretch is just a short hop) and Romantische Straße routes. The rest of the time just buy the ADFC maps or local 1:50,000 maps. You won't need to get the maps in advance as you can buy them in most German railway station newsagents or bookshops in the towns along the way. Dunno about mapping for F, Be and NL.

bennytheegg

5 days? impressive.

I'm doing Brighton to Munich at the mo, but not doing as direct a route as you so I'm of little help I'm afraid - Currently I'm lounging around in Paris for a couple of days.

How far can you cycle a day? Are you going to be camping or hotel-ing it?

Good luck

albal

Guru
Hi,
We are departing Dieppe 1300hr 27th Sept, Take van to Munich, stay day or so and cycling back, 2 riders take it in turn etc...arr Dieppe sometime fri 2 oct am. Would like some ideas of routes too. We could meet up if you guys are around on 28th sept/ 29th.?
Good luck.

bennytheegg

albal said:
Hi,
We are departing Dieppe 1300hr 27th Sept, Take van to Munich, stay day or so and cycling back, 2 riders take it in turn etc...arr Dieppe sometime fri 2 oct am. Would like some ideas of routes too. We could meet up if you guys are around on 28th sept/ 29th.?
Good luck.

Awesome stuff, coming back you won't have to battle against the headwinds like I am xx( assuming you guys know about bikehike.co.uk - amazing for planning routes and shows the the elevation along the way which is priceless!!

You won't be coming as far south as I am at the moment (currently in Epinal) but when I hit Germany I'll be able to be a bit more help.

Don't forget your waterproofs!!

bennytheegg

sorry albal, i was too drunk in munchen to even think about getting to an internet cafe! Awesome awesome time! Definately doing it again next year... not so sure about cycling again though! Have a safe journey home

albal

Guru
yeah me too and wondered where the 100 euros went that day !!!!! great time tho'. On the return leg my pal never stopped complaning the roads were too busy. Sometimes there is no pleasing some folk.

Top Bottom