Enigma Etape or Echo ? - Any advice welcome please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C_Sharp

Hi Bamford,

Just wondered if you'd made a decision on your Enigma yet.

I'm also looking into buying a titanium road bike.

OP
OP
B

Bamford

Hi Bamford,

Just wondered if you'd made a decision on your Enigma yet.

I'm also looking into buying a titanium road bike.

No, not yet, possibly leaning towards an Echo now.

A guy on the Enigma forum fitted a rack to an Echo using C-clips, I think. I've also seen people using beam racks on them. And I think Mark can be persuaded to fit eyelets if you custom order.

Not sure if this is appropriate, but I'm actually selling a lightly used Echo frame and forks at the moment, size 56cm top tube. More details at:

http://road.cc/conte...frame-and-forks

Selling it to buy an Enigma Esprit, don't worry: Enigmas are superb bikes!

Garz

Squat Member
Hi Bamford.

I am one of the lucky souls to proudly own an Enigma Etape, I had it built in October and received it a few weeks later (custom build). I have now covered around 1500 miles on it and highly recommend it for it's versatility and comfort. As I chiefly ride short weeknight rides, coupled with longer weekend rides and a sportive here and there it was deliberated over many a magazine article, forum post and browsing.

A work colleague also has one and was another weight into why I chose it over the other similar Titanium brands which I hear are all great purchases so your delving into a pool of good quality and choice.

If you have any other queries I would be happy to help.

Gareth

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't know about Bamford.... but my Van Nic Yukon is on order !

Why did I choose the Yukon?

Well - if you think Paul Smith is helpful on here.....try a trip to his shop - Corridori in Epsom. He is not only one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever met, but incredibly enthusiastic about cycling at all levels , and never ever "sells" or puts pressure on a customer to buy. He seems just as happy selling a £2.99 inner tube for a child's bike as he does selling a £1000 super lightweight wheelset.

He doesn't have to "sell" when it comes to Van Nics though. I went in after a rather tough ride (C&M Hilly 50) on my own "best bike" - which has been heavily customised using all the knowledge I've gained on this & other fora in the last few years. Test riding the Yukon was like strapping on a fresh pair of legs....

Garz

Squat Member
Ahh yes he seems a nice fella does Paul. Glad you got a great service and a helpful one at that!

Gordon Eady

I bought my Etape three years ago and commute 14 miles to work everyday and tour on it in UK France and Belgium.
It's a fantastic allrounder which is capable of big touring commuting or sportif riding if you want to strip of the mud guards pannier carriers etc. The ride is simmilar to steel albeit a tad stiffer that a traditional 531 frame due more to the modern design rather than the material.
I have a custom paint job on mine which coupled with the custom build and proximity to where I live (Brighton/Hailsham) influenced my decision to go with Enigma over Van Nicholas/Lynskey/Spa.

Cyclist33

Hello,

I've narrowed my choice of new bike down to either a Enigma Echo or Enigma Etape.

My intended use will most probably be long day rides, local loop fitness rides and I'm not likely to be competing in races, although sportives may be a possibility, all according to how fit I become.

I'd be very interested in any views that other forum members may have with regards to these two models, especially from owners.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to see either of these models before making a purchase (no local dealers and Eastbourne is too far).

The Etape can obviously take wider tyres and / or mudguards and a rack which makes it more flexible, but is this at the expense of performance, acceleration, extra weight etc ?

The Etape is often referred to as a "Winter Bike", presumably because it can take mudguards, and that label puts me off a bit, as this would also be my "Summer Bike".

My heart says go for the Echo, because it's a bit more racey and with possibly sharper handling, but my head says go for the Etape, because it's more practical and obviously opens up the opportunity for a bit of light touring.

A recent Cycling Plus review described the Etape as one of the most versatile bikes they have ever tested and they said they would gladly place it on the start line of any race or criterium. On the Enigma website however, under Disciplines and Performance, they clearly state that the Etape is unsuitable for racing and criteriums. Whilst I most probably won't be taking part in races, I still don't want to end up with a bike that is much slower than a standard road bike.

Looking at the picture below, the Etape still looks quite sporty and "road bike" like.

I'd be most grateful for any help and advice to help me resolve this dilemma

32211_1390327513094_1079300874_1146229_5189289_n.jpg
Great questions, and what a pair of options!!

Cyclist33

Hi Paul,

Many thanks indeed for your replies to my post. I've seen some of your replies to other questions - you obviously have a lot of knowledge on the subject and for someone like myself who has not yet been able to even see a titanium bike, due to a lack of dealers in the area who stock these bikes, the information that you posted is very helpful indeed.

Thanks again.

Have you considered steel? Wonderful ride quality on high end steel frames, possibly cheaper than titanium and a greater range of colours!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't have either but I long ago identified the Etape as a strong contender for my next bike. Other possibilities in similar vein include the Van Nicholas Yukon with Sabbath & Burls offerings possibly also in the running.

FWIW I bought the VN Yukon, and have ridden it about 20 000 km (mostly in Audax rides)
If I was buying again it would be the Etape Disc.

Have you considered steel? Wonderful ride quality on high end steel frames,
My Yukon is a very much more comfortable ride than my Reynolds 531 tourer.

Clinchy

deeprakvrao - I had a similar choice after my carbon bike was written off and I decided to replace it with Titanium. (Though to be fair running into the edge of a car door that a dopey driver opened as cycled past wouldn't have done a Titanium or steel bike a lot of good either!)
None of the posts in this thread mention Kinesis. I bought a Kinesis racelight Gran Fondo and think it's brilliant. It's lively, comfortable, looks great and will take mud guards and rack if you want them. Certainly worth a thought:smile:

2013-06-04 12.11.53.jpg

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Useless post alert!

I was on the Enigma stand at the Bike Show, feeling the width, so to speak, as indeed we did on loads of other stands, Ti or not. I must say and my mate with me (who's not shy of carbon love) both agreed that the Excel Ti was easily one of the most gorgeous bikes we'd ever seen, bar none. We even went and saw the staff, purely to say so, only to redirected to the chap who does the welding, whereupon we repeated ourselves and shook his hand (carefully) with reverence.

Lucky I didn't see that before my recent purchase, because despite my general disinterest in Ti, that was a thing of such detail, such craft, I would have sold close family members to own it. Might even still do so, in fact.

Either way, you've got a seriously nice choice to make, because whether either actually are the"best" bike of their type, you WILL end up with a lovingly crafted piece of machinery. You can't put a price on that.

I've started saving...

Russell

Top Bottom