Enlarged prostate - Experiences from others who suffer and options going forward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Does anyone else struggle with Tamsulosin? I find it very effective at reducing the urge to pee, but the side effects are (for me) unpleasant. I get low BP, headaches and a dazed feeling.

It only comes in one dose size, 400mg.
With the connivance of my GP I'm opening the capsule each day and pouring 1/2 to 3/4 away before swallowing. That seems to still give me the benefits but far less side effects.

I was on that for a while and to be fair, it was years later before anyone realised I shouldn't have been. My experience was horrendous as I presented at A&E with a suspected heart attack probably 6 times in more, with one visit being told I was having panic attacks which I knew I wasn't. Eventually when I mentioned it casually to my first urologist, she went chalk white and took me off them straight away. The heart issue never surfaced again and it even lead to a full heart scan that was 100% clear. Horrible stuff that.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I was on that for a while and to be fair, it was years later before anyone realised I shouldn't have been. My experience was horrendous as I presented at A&E with a suspected heart attack probably 6 times in more, with one visit being told I was having panic attacks which I knew I wasn't. Eventually when I mentioned it casually to my first urologist, she went chalk white and took me off them straight away. The heart issue never surfaced again and it even lead to a full heart scan that was 100% clear. Horrible stuff that.

Thanks for sharing that. It helps to know I'm not alone in having some horrible side effects. I have also thought I was having some kind of heart attack as a result.

I'd hasten to add that most men don't get those effects, but for me it's a difficult balance.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Does anyone else struggle with Tamsulosin?

I am struggling with something. Not sure if it's the Tamsulosin or the Dutasteride; both are quite unpleasant drugs from what I have read about them. Let's just say, I see no point in seeking out a new relationship any time soon, they have killed the desire and the performance stone dead! The retrograde ejaculation is also a problem. Wouldn't mind so much if they were having any positive effect and doing what they were supposed to do, but no; they haven't done a thing. In fact my flow is a lot worse than it was pre meds.. I discussed this with the urology nurse but she says that things would be even worse if I wasn't taking these meds. Sometimes I wonder..... It all seems to be a bit of a guessing game, and ifs buts and maybes when it comes to urology.
Then there are the breathing issues, which means I currently struggle with cycling or anything remotely strenuous - and as a result the fitness nosedives. On the flat with a tailwind, fine. Hit any type of climb and forget it. Is it the meds? Is it lungs or heart? Is it long covid? Is it something else? Each test results in another 6 month wait. Fourteen months now, and counting. No further forward. So who knows?
Currently waiting for a CT scan of the lungs which I was told was the next step, having seen the consultant at the respiratory clinic - in January. So 3 months, and not even any notification of an appointment yet.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I cannot remember the tablet i took with tamsulosin.But i got depression with it.I read about an American test on the drug,some patients hated it with venom.I went back to my doctors and asked for a break from it..Two months off and i felt better.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I am struggling with something. Not sure if it's the Tamsulosin or the Dutasteride; both are quite unpleasant drugs from what I have read about them. Let's just say, I see no point in seeking out a new relationship any time soon, they have killed the desire and the performance stone dead! The retrograde ejaculation is also a problem. Wouldn't mind so much if they were having any positive effect and doing what they were supposed to do, but no; they haven't done a thing. In fact my flow is a lot worse than it was pre meds.. I discussed this with the urology nurse but she says that things would be even worse if I wasn't taking these meds. Sometimes I wonder..... It all seems to be a bit of a guessing game, and ifs buts and maybes when it comes to urology.
Then there are the breathing issues, which means I currently struggle with cycling or anything remotely strenuous - and as a result the fitness nosedives. On the flat with a tailwind, fine. Hit any type of climb and forget it. Is it the meds? Is it lungs or heart? Is it long covid? Is it something else? Each test results in another 6 month wait. Fourteen months now, and counting. No further forward. So who knows?
Currently waiting for a CT scan of the lungs which I was told was the next step, having seen the consultant at the respiratory clinic - in January. So 3 months, and not even any notification of an appointment yet.

I'm sorry to hear that @Brandane Sounds horrible.

It's also sad to hear again how our NHS is struggling to support so many people.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to hear that @Brandane Sounds horrible.

It's also sad to hear again how our NHS is struggling to support so many people.

Thanks, but no need for you to be sorry. I count myself as quite lucky, as with every visit to whatever hospital, you realise there are an awful lot of people in a much worse situation. And hearing so much recently of past acquaintances and ex work colleagues passing; many of them younger than me :sad:.

Baldy

Über Member
Does anyone else struggle with Tamsulosin?

To begin with I was on Tolterodine tartrate, it worked for a while but the effects wore off so it wasn't really doing me any good. It was also turning me into a zombie no energy, no interest in anything, no go. After complaining it was changed to tamsulosin, only been on it a couple of months. So far it is working, not needing to getup nearly as much in the night. The energy levels are slowly coming back. Now reading some peoples experiences has got me worried.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
To begin with I was on Tolterodine tartrate, it worked for a while but the effects wore off so it wasn't really doing me any good. It was also turning me into a zombie no energy, no interest in anything, no go. After complaining it was changed to tamsulosin, only been on it a couple of months. So far it is working, not needing to getup nearly as much in the night. The energy levels are slowly coming back. Now reading some peoples experiences has got me worried.

Been on it over 2 years and working fine for me.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Please don't worry!

If tamsulosin works for you enjoy it!

I have always been highly responsive to drugs, which is one reason that I don't drink alcohol or fully caffeinated coffee.

I'm now experimenting with 1/10th of the normal dose of tamsulosin which seems to give me a big improvement without the side effects.

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks, but no need for you to be sorry. I count myself as quite lucky, as with every visit to whatever hospital, you realise there are an awful lot of people in a much worse situation. And hearing so much recently of past acquaintances and ex work colleagues passing; many of them younger than me :sad:.
What a wonderful attitude,i am in a similar vein.i am still a member of a support group,the treatment some are going through is horrendous.young women loosing hair then getting swollen faces,some with young families.I had an easy run.Yet i moan because i cannot do things as quickly and i get tired.

Slick

Guru

I wouldn't worry based on anything I say, as I wasn't on it all that long and the side effects started almost straight away.

ren531

Über Member
Does anyone else struggle with Tamsulosin? I find it very effective at reducing the urge to pee, but the side effects are (for me) unpleasant. I get low BP, headaches and a dazed feeling.

It only comes in one dose size, 400mg.
With the connivance of my GP I'm opening the capsule each day and pouring 1/2 to 3/4 away before swallowing. That seems to still give me the benefits but far less side effects.

I had the same experience with Tamsulosin , but not the headaches, it made me very chilled out which was great but too much so , if I'd been retired it wouldn't have mattered but I was struggling to function at work due to lack of go and feeling fuzzy headed, I felt they were making me old before my time
so stopped taking them last year with the consent of the urologists.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had the same experience with Tamsulosin , but not the headaches, it made me very chilled out which was great but too much so , if I'd been retired it wouldn't have mattered but I was struggling to function at work due to lack of go and feeling fuzzy headed, I felt they were making me old before my time
so stopped taking them last year with the consent of the urologists.

I'm now settled on around 1/10th of the standard dose of tamsulosin taken in the evening. That gets me through the night with fewer trips to the loo and minimal side effects.

My GP knows what I'm doing and while they can't approve of it they are not telling me to stop. As for my urologist, they don't need to know, it's my body.

Slick

Guru
I'm now settled on around 1/10th of the standard dose of tamsulosin taken in the evening. That gets me through the night with fewer trips to the loo and minimal side effects.

My GP knows what I'm doing and while they can't approve of it they are not telling me to stop. As for my urologist, they don't need to know, it's my body.

Obviously everyone is different so there might not be an alternative, but you won't know if you don't ask your urologist.

On the other hand, if it works........

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Mine are in a time release capsule.

Are yours in a tablet? If not, how do you manage to portion it out?

I have wondered what minimum dose would work for me.

Currently 400mcg.

Top Bottom