Enlighten me please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what exactly is the definition of "a gravel bike".

I think it's something between a touring bike and a mountain bike, but I really have no idea.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Drop handlebars , wider tyre clearances, more relaxed geometry than road bike. A touring bike would fit right in, on the type of terrain they are typically used on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess it’s something like a tourer but can take wider tyres for off road tracks and trails. Usually drop bars. Steel, carbon or aluminium frame with a longer wheelbase compared to a road bike.
Here’s mine which has mountain bike gearing:
78039284-9B55-4840-94D8-DC4EF053BBF7.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what exactly is the definition of "a gravel bike".

I think it's something between a touring bike and a mountain bike, but I really have no idea.
It’s basically a road bike, with gearing, frame design, geometry, tyre clearances, that allows it to be used on uneven / loose / rough surfaces, without compromising ride quality too much. Think of them as cyclocross bikes that have been ‘softened’ to give them broader appeal. There are certain things that typically mark a gravel bike out. Higher than typically found on a road bike bottom bracket position, shorter chain stays, disc brakes, clearance for 35+mm tyres, big cassettes, rear mechs to cope with them, and so on and so forth.

Top Bottom