Entering the box.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
gaz said:
i get a lot more respect from drivers when i give a hand wave thanks for not overtaking me at a certain point.

I gave a wave this morning and was awarded with one back. I could hear the car behind me as I was approaching a pinchpoint, took a glance and the motorist stayed. I was going to give them the opportunity to pass as there was plenty of space before the road tightened but she stayed behind me and I went through the tight spot in the primary, she then performed a nice, decisive overtake, giving me plenty of room so I gave a wave and got one back. Some drivers appreciate that cyclists are more vulnerable in these situations and drive accordingly.

I also agree with Rhythmthief, if I see someone hugging the gutter - sometimes a solitary cyclist in club colours (which you tend to see more than you would like - maybe it's the same chap!), I just can't help thinking that they're doing their own thing and not moving as part of the traffic which they normally are. It encourages tight overtakes and you see that from the way other motorists treat them. As always, I give them plenty of room but other car drivers don't necessarily drive with the same appreciation.

davidg

gaz said:
true that. i find i get a lot more respect from drivers when i give a hand wave thanks for not overtaking me at a certain point.

this

plus a lot of you could do with thinking about what you would think from a car drivers point of view as well.....
the letter of the law is hardly going to save you and much of it is down to interpretation.

cyclist often think there is a law for drivers because of them when the sitaution is a bit of consideration for the other person will avoid more situations irrespective of "right".

It's impossible to judge the initial post, as the timings/space are unclear, but the car driver sees a cyclist go round him and then block the road for him. sometimes that sort of thing is unavoidable and just happens, but if you are in the primary and he can still get past, why not stay in the secondary and let him pass. Obviously was not a hight speed incident as you are just leaving the lights. There were only two cars which could have been long gone if you let them.

Also cyclists are so determined to get in front when it is not always necessary. See it every day when someone cycling really slowly squeezes past the artic trying to kill themselves when they could just say as part of the traffic

davidg

gaz said:
true that. i find i get a lot more respect from drivers when i give a hand wave thanks for not overtaking me at a certain point.

this

plus a lot of you could do with thinking about what you would think from a car drivers point of view as well.....
the letter of the law is hardly going to save you and much of it is down to interpretation.

cyclist often think there is a law for drivers because of them when the sitaution is a bit of consideration for the other person will avoid more situations irrespective of "right".

It's impossible to judge the initial post, as the timings/space are unclear, but the car driver sees a cyclist go round him and then block the road for him. sometimes that sort of thing is unavoidable and just happens, but if you are in the primary and he can still get past, why not stay in the secondary and let him pass. Obviously was not a hight speed incident as you are just leaving the lights. There were only two cars which could have been long gone if you let them.

Also cyclists are so determined to get in front when it is not always necessary. See it every day when someone cycling really slowly squeezes past the artic trying to kill themselves when they could just say as part of the traffic

davidg

gaz said:

this

Coco

Rhythm Thief said:
...I'm a professional driver ...

I see a lot of professional drivers on my commute and they are almost always polite, patient and well mannered - even when I'm slowing them down.

I can't thank them all so take a bow RT and accept my thanks on behalf of your profession.

cheers

Coco

Rhythm Thief said:

I see a lot of professional drivers on my commute and they are almost always polite, patient and well mannered - even when I'm slowing them down.

I can't thank them all so take a bow RT and accept my thanks on behalf of your profession.

cheers

Coco

Rhythm Thief said:

cheers

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think Jimbo is surviving cycling not because of his incorrect approach, but in spite of it. It's a testament to how safe cycling is, and that his experience will help him to correct for and avoid the likely higher number of potential collisions his riding probably generates.

Jimbo, is there any way you can get a camera and film your riding, or get someone else to ride behind you with a handlebar/helmet camera?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think Jimbo is surviving cycling not because of his incorrect approach, but in spite of it. It's a testament to how safe cycling is, and that his experience will help him to correct for and avoid the likely higher number of potential collisions his riding probably generates.

Jimbo, is there any way you can get a camera and film your riding, or get someone else to ride behind you with a handlebar/helmet camera?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

jimboalee

I have mentioned Birmingham's No. 11 bus 'Outer circle' route.
If anyone with a helmet cam wishes to follow me round, Friday afternoon rush hour is a hoot.

jimboalee

If anyone with a helmet cam wishes to follow me round, Friday afternoon rush hour is a hoot.

jimboalee

Top Bottom