Entering the box.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lurker said:
Like the picture of the ASL in use, illustrating HC Rule 178, here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

you mean?:biggrin:

Look at this Jimbo - you are always harping on about the highway code:

dg_070536.jpg

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.

You are this: WRONG and FAIL of paying attention to the highway code.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
jimboalee said:
I've been out for a ride today.

Into Birmingham shopping centre ( Bull Ring ).

I rode as I usually do, ignoring ASL reservoirs, going forward at TL stoplines and giving Mr Motorist the 'benefit of the doubt' at junctions.

I got back home safe and sound. No toots, no shouts, no worries.

How do I do it?

By riding on the pavement?:smile:

No, but seriously, if you go ahead of the TL stop line you are essentially making your own ASL, if not extending the one that's there which is a bit rich considering your opinion of them.

IMO this sort of cycling can irritate motorists just as much, as well as being in contrevention of the HC.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
jimboalee said:
I've been out for a ride today.

Into Birmingham shopping centre ( Bull Ring ).

I rode as I usually do, ignoring ASL reservoirs, going forward at TL stoplines and giving Mr Motorist the 'benefit of the doubt' at junctions.

I got back home safe and sound. No toots, no shouts, no worries.

How do I do it?

By riding on the pavement?:biggrin:

No, but seriously, if you go ahead of the TL stop line you are essentially making your own ASL, if not extending the one that's there which is a bit rich considering your opinion of them.

IMO this sort of cycling can irritate motorists just as much, as well as being in contrevention of the HC.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No, Jimbo is not wrong the motorist in the diagram is wrong - YOU ARE WRONG!:biggrin:
As you don't see state of the lights when the driver in the left hand picture entered the box, both drivers could be following the HC.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No, Jimbo is not wrong the motorist in the diagram is wrong - YOU ARE WRONG!:smile:
As you don't see state of the lights when the driver in the left hand picture entered the box, both drivers could be following the HC.

mr_cellophane said:

Correct

Sometimes one finds oneself in the embarassing situation of being in the ASL with a "give cyclists room" sticker on the back, looking like the world's biggest hypocrite.

If this happens I usually try to make eye contact with the cyclist and signal that I will wait for them to set off. If not, I simply wait until the cyclist has set off (usually getting a "oi the lights have changed wake up!" beep from the car behind but bods to them)

mr_cellophane said:

Correct

Sometimes one finds oneself in the embarassing situation of being in the ASL with a "give cyclists room" sticker on the back, looking like the world's biggest hypocrite.

If this happens I usually try to make eye contact with the cyclist and signal that I will wait for them to set off. If not, I simply wait until the cyclist has set off (usually getting a "oi the lights have changed wake up!" beep from the car behind but bods to them)

jimboalee

BentMikey said:

dg_070536.jpg

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.

The cyclist in white with a red hat. Why isn't he holding his right arm out to tell the motorist he intends to turn Right?
If he is not turning Right, why is he all the way across on the RHS of the reservoir when he intends to proceed forward?

The red reservoir area is the whole width of the lane, and as the rule states, "Allow cyclists time and space to move off".

If I'm INSIDE the red area with my foot on the kerb, I would expect the motorist to allow me time and space to move off, not 'left hook' me".

If I'm proceeding forward, I would consider myself rude and arrogant if I deliberately went to where the chap in white is in the 'correct' picture.
It would give the motorist the idea I was turning Right, and when I pedalled away forward, he'd be puzzled, if not annoyed.
If I kept that RHS position all the way across the junction and into the exit road, he'd think I was taking the piss and then be annoyed.

Is this what happened to OP?

jimboalee

BentMikey said:

dg_070536.jpg

The cyclist in white with a red hat. Why isn't he holding his right arm out to tell the motorist he intends to turn Right?
If he is not turning Right, why is he all the way across on the RHS of the reservoir when he intends to proceed forward?

The red reservoir area is the whole width of the lane, and as the rule states, "Allow cyclists time and space to move off".

If I'm INSIDE the red area with my foot on the kerb, I would expect the motorist to allow me time and space to move off, not 'left hook' me".

If I'm proceeding forward, I would consider myself rude and arrogant if I deliberately went to where the chap in white is in the 'correct' picture.
It would give the motorist the idea I was turning Right, and when I pedalled away forward, he'd be puzzled, if not annoyed.
If I kept that RHS position all the way across the junction and into the exit road, he'd think I was taking the piss and then be annoyed.

Lurker

jimboalee said:

Perhaps because he's not turning right?

jimboalee said:

OK, perhaps because there are other cyclists also travelling in same direction and he is politely giving them room? (one immediately to his left; another approaching in the lead-in lane - let's call them cyclists 2 & 3)

jimboalee said:

Unfortunately your expectation often isn't matched by reality. There's little risk to a motorist if they 'left hook' you - and some drivers will take your positioning as an invitation to do this.

jimboalee said:

Not sure why. The alternative would be to not allow enough room for cyclist 2. That would certainly be rude and arrogant.

jimboalee said:

Might do, might not. On the other hand, the motorist might realise that cyclist 1 was simply leaving room for cyclists 2 & 3 (if they think about it at all).

jimboalee said:

Might do, might not. A good driver would consider why the cyclist was keeping well out in the lane. The OP's difficulties seemed to be related to the motorist feeling that the cyclist shouldn't enter the ASL from the offside, regardless of the reasons behind this.

jimboalee said:

Not according to OP

Lurker

jimboalee said:

Perhaps because he's not turning right?

jimboalee said:

OK, perhaps because there are other cyclists also travelling in same direction and he is politely giving them room? (one immediately to his left; another approaching in the lead-in lane - let's call them cyclists 2 & 3)

jimboalee said:

Unfortunately your expectation often isn't matched by reality. There's little risk to a motorist if they 'left hook' you - and some drivers will take your positioning as an invitation to do this.

jimboalee said:

Not sure why. The alternative would be to not allow enough room for cyclist 2. That would certainly be rude and arrogant.

jimboalee said:

Might do, might not. On the other hand, the motorist might realise that cyclist 1 was simply leaving room for cyclists 2 & 3 (if they think about it at all).

jimboalee said:

Might do, might not. A good driver would consider why the cyclist was keeping well out in the lane. The OP's difficulties seemed to be related to the motorist feeling that the cyclist shouldn't enter the ASL from the offside, regardless of the reasons behind this.

jimboalee said:

Not according to OP

jimboalee said:

I'll give you this - you're one of nature's "glass half full" people rather than "glass half empty"

I'm more of a "my head is like glass and I'd rather it doesn't get broken than trust that the driver behind actually took any interest in the highway code except for the bare minimum for driving test sake"

jimboalee said:

I'll give you this - you're one of nature's "glass half full" people rather than "glass half empty"

I'm more of a "my head is like glass and I'd rather it doesn't get broken than trust that the driver behind actually took any interest in the highway code except for the bare minimum for driving test sake"

Top Bottom