Entry level cycle shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I am starting to do longing rides. About 30 miles over a couple of hours. I cycle in building shorts, so no padding exists.

Therefore I think some cycling shorts would do me good. I am not looking to break the bank and the top of my budget would be £50.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

BS

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheaper options:
Polaris
Decathlon
Altura

All at the cheaper end - you then need to decide on waist vs bib shorts

Or any other brand on sale - Endura, Pearl Izumi, Specialized...

And what are building shorts?!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Black's often have Gore bib shorts on offer under £50. Shopping around will usually unearth a bargain somewhere.

That said, Decathlon and Wiggles own ranges are good if you stay away from the very cheapest ones. I've also had some very decent FDX bib shorts from Amazon.

I'd definitely recommend bib shorts over waist shorts for cycling.

johnnyb47

Guru
I find Aldi or Lidl cycling shorts are good value. Also sports direct one's have been good to. I've never paid over £15 for them either so they would be well in your budget.
Cycling shorts will make a huge difference to your comfort levels whilst on longer rides. As there tightly fitting you don't get any pinch points that loose shorts will and with the extra padding underneath the seat will much more comfortable.. One of the best things you could do is to get some cycling shorts 👍

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Cargo style at a guess

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As @johnnyb47 has said above, Aldi and Lidl often have inexpensive cycling "gear", and, in my experience, the clothing, including shorts, is reasonable quality. There is a "Special Buys Aldi" coming up in the next week or so, I believe.

In addition to the above, I recently purchased some cycling leggings and undershorts, for my (new to cycling, since lockdown) daughter, from eBay. They were inexpensive, well under £50, and, I suspect may not last the year, but, they are certainly good enough to allow her to "try them out" and decide on which type she prefers, before committing to more expensive option (no doubt, on my credit card) ;)

Links for the two products are https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Women-Cycling-Tights-3-4-Shorts-Padded-Ladies-Leggings-Anti-Bac-Coolmax-Pad/262951314375?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=561957419488&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Padded-Men-Women-Cycling-Underwear-Bicycle-MTB-Riding-Shorts-Black-Soft-Pants/124014768788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=424839016373&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649, clearly, for my daughter, these are women's versions, but, they do have men versions too, I believe.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Cheaper options:
Polaris
Decathlon
Altura

All at the cheaper end - you then need to decide on waist vs bib shorts

Or any other brand on sale - Endura, Pearl Izumi, Specialized...

Shorts that builders wear that have lots of pockets, so you can carry utility knife and a hammer relatively easily.

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi and Lidl cycling clothing IME has dropped in quality and the shorts are always on the large Germanic size. Read reviews as to sizing issues people may have had with any brand.

Top Bottom