Entry level cycle shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
To throw another maker in, Polaris - especially when in one of their frequent sales and being a UK firm the sizing is usually what you what you expect, a L for example whereas that could be XL or XXL from other makes and M in the case of the German originated stores.

Aldi and Lidl cycling clothing IME has dropped in quality and the shorts are always on the large Germanic size. Read reviews as to sizing issues people may have had with any brand.
:smile: Any germans on here?
Lidl do use a very odd sizing system, never been able to get my head round it. I just compare things to stuff i already have that I know fits.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:smile: Any germans on here?
Lidl do use a very odd sizing system, never been able to get my head round it. I just compare things to stuff i already have that I know fits.
I think it refers to Lidl using so-called "vanity sizing" like most UK shops, with clothes slightly bigger than labelled, roughly M as average (IMO usually it's L), and compared to stereotypical Italian sizing, where XXL fits an average person.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Planetx 365x At about £25 I can highly recommend these shorts, fantastic value.

I got some in a sale, £17. Wasnt expecting much but have been really surprised how good they are. Sizing seems true to measurements, and insead of the thin silicon grippers on the legs they have about 4 inches of elastic - much nicer in my opinion.

icowden

Veteran
Hi

I am starting to do longing rides. About 30 miles over a couple of hours. I cycle in building shorts, so no padding exists.

Therefore I think some cycling shorts would do me good. I am not looking to break the bank and the top of my budget would be £50.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

BS

You have to ask yourself...

Do I have the figure for skin tight lycra, or do I prefer baggies...

If baggies, the Endura Humvee are very good (although not at the cheaper end of the scale).

I think it refers to Lidl using so-called "vanity sizing" like most UK shops, with clothes slightly bigger than labelled, roughly M as average (IMO usually it's L), and compared to stereotypical Italian sizing, where XXL fits an average person.
It's not the vanity thing as I remember - just a series of numbers I can't relate to anything in cm or inches - maybe my mind had gone. Have never understand the italian perversity on size tinkering - unlike most folk do they want to be thought fatter?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As @johnnyb47 has said above, Aldi and Lidl often have inexpensive cycling "gear", and, in my experience, the clothing, including shorts, is reasonable quality. There is a "Special Buys Aldi" coming up in the next week or so, I believe.

In addition to the above, I recently purchased some cycling leggings and undershorts, for my (new to cycling, since lockdown) daughter, from eBay. They were inexpensive, well under £50, and, I suspect may not last the year, but, they are certainly good enough to allow her to "try them out" and decide on which type she prefers, before committing to more expensive option (no doubt, on my credit card) ;)

Links for the two products are https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Women-Cycling-Tights-3-4-Shorts-Padded-Ladies-Leggings-Anti-Bac-Coolmax-Pad/262951314375?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=561957419488&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Padded-Men-Women-Cycling-Underwear-Bicycle-MTB-Riding-Shorts-Black-Soft-Pants/124014768788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=424839016373&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649, clearly, for my daughter, these are women's versions, but, they do have men versions too, I believe.
Don't hold your breath... our special buys are a bit all over the place at the moment. They're planned long in advance but anything that promotes going outdoors has been pulled since March.

Jody

Stubborn git
If baggies, the Endura Humvee are very good (although not at the cheaper end of the scale).

Almost within budget though and the padded liners are really comfy. Great shorts for the money.

BigMeatball

I like to wait for some kind of sale/offer on DHB Aeron bibs from Wiggle.

Seems like these dbh aeron bibs are kind of highly regarded and offer good value for money. I might buy a pair when they're on sale.

Question for everyone: how do dbh aeron compare with products from Gore or Fwe (the evans brands). Particularly interested in how they compare in quality of stitching/padding and sizing

Cheers

Top Bottom