Entry level GPS ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Evening,

Think I may have compromised the battery on my iPhone due to backsweat :crazy:

Since I spend too much on both cycling and golf, I need to enter this particular market at the cheap yet functional end.

Any recommendations?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Garmin 200. Currently £79.99 at Halfords.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The 'big' spending on golf is done, with the real expense being the £550 a year fees. I've stopped changing clubs as I've realised the common denominator in my crapness is me! So not a lot to save in this area.

Why the 800 as a minimum? Why not the 510? I think the 200 seems like it does what I might need it to.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I suppose it all depends on how much information and how many features you would like. I had a vear or two using nothing more than a wireless cycle computer and pre-written course cards for unfamiliar routes.
I now use a Garmin Edge 200 which I am getting along with really well. In addition to the basic current speed, distance and average speed that any cycle computer will provide, I can devise a course on pc using ride with gps, map my ride etc. then drop it onto the 200 as a course to follow, which I find works really well. It's not a map, only a breadcrumb trail, but if I miss a turn an alarm sounds and the display advises how far off the course is and which direction to get back. Not that I've used it yet, but if you need to bail mid ride there's a 'get back home' option too.
You don't get cadence or heart rate monitoring, but you do get a small, light, easy to use directional aid for an 'accessible' price, with really good battery life. Uploading rides is easy too, along with all that checking how you are doing compared to other riders business on Strada.
I'm entirely happy with mine.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Why the 800 as a minimum? Why not the 510? I think the 200 seems like it does what I might need it to.
What do you want a unit to do for you?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

To suggest that the 800 is a minimum without asking what type of cycling you do is a bit dumb.

If like me, you are not interested in heat rate, cadence or training, the 800 would be of no use to you. The 800 is more for sports cyclists.

I am not interest in cycling fitness to the point of knowing my heatrate. i am more into riding my bike from A to B. I have the Garmin Edge Touring and works great as a route planner and turn by turn GPS. It is cheaper than the 800. A lot of guys do like the 200 though.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Thanks for the advice.

I suppose what I want it to do now versus what I might want it to do at some point is what makes it a harder decision.

I use the iPhone with Cyclemeter at the moment. I basically like recording my mileage, average speed, and comparing it to other rides. As I commute a fair distance I like comparing performance.

At the moment I don't even know what cadence is so have no real desire to measure my physical performance/power etc.

I don't need a route finder as all of my cycling is localish and I like the exploratory nature of cycling - it's not the same as a car where you need to be somewhere - meandering on a bike is pleasurable!

Looking at that, maybe I'd get away with a cycle computer. Although I like the idea of uploading it and comparing to previous rides.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Battery life is a factor if you do long rides. I prefer a gps that can take ordinary AA batteries so I can easilly carry spares.

Top Bottom