Entry level pedals for MTB shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't go far wrong with Shimano M520's. Cheap and come with cleats.

I have XT's both the standard and the larger Trail pedal. More expensive though.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
You can't go far wrong with Shimano M520's. Cheap and come with cleats.

I have XT's both the standard and the larger Trail pedal. More expensive though.

They look good.

The most I would be looking to spend is about £80.

Is there much of a difference between a £30 to £80 set of pedals?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Mike_P

Guru
520s are fine - and they come with a free set of cleats worth around £10. The only issue as with most pedals is that they do not comply with the Highway Code as they do not have reflectors. Not know any issues over this, indeed I have taken bikes to be Police security marked with 520s on them and had the bike positively commented on by them. Shimano do make clip on reflectors as a solution but my usual solution to is wear yellow shoes or, with black shoes, bright green or yellow socks.

vickster

Legendary Member
520s are fine - and they come with a free set of cleats worth around £10. The only issue as with most pedals is that they do not comply with the Highway Code as they do not have reflectors. Not know any issues over this, indeed I have taken bikes to be Police security marked with 520s on them and had the bike positively commented on by them. Shimano do make clip on reflectors as a solution but my usual solution to is wear yellow shoes or, with black shoes, bright green or yellow socks.
Yellow doesn’t reflect at night though which is the aim of reflectors? Not that it has ever bothered me, clothes with reflectives and lights

vickster

Legendary Member
Reflective you mean? Doesn't it fade with washing though?
My old MTB shoes had reflectives on the heels :okay:

Top Bottom