Envious of Scots' CycleChat Rides.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
I'll be coming by car again so parking would also be useful.

Auntie Helen you can park on my drive if we meet in Watton SG14 3SG (the kettle will be on) or if Hertford I will arrange for parking where I work. I did look at the train station parking in Hertford which was once free at the weekends alas not now £4.60 a day.

Sittingduck said:
How about we meet close to a big station like Watford Junction? ;)

Sittingduck if we meet at Watford junction we would all be worn out by the time we got to the ride route :biggrin:

I have had a quick check on train times
Liverpool Street to Hertord East 7:42 gets in 8:31

Kings Cross to Hertford North then next stop Watton at Stone 8:26 gets in at Hertford North 9:07 and Watton at Stone 9:13

So looks like those that want to use Liverpool St. can cycle across Hertford and get the conection to Watton with ease.

Sig SilverPrinter I would have thought from Essex by train you would have to get to Broxbourne then change to the Hertford East line. what part of Essex are you in?

stevevw said:
Sittingduck if we meet at Watford junction we would all be worn out by the time we got to the ride route ;)

Yes, Watford Junction (Euston/Birmingham fast line) would be a good jumping off point for a ride some other time out Chesham/Amersham way, lots of quiet winding lanes. But they are called the Chiltern Hills because there are some err... hills as well. Watford is convenient for M25 and M1 as well.

Jonathan

stevevw

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
How far is it from hertford east to north stations?

Under a mile. Hertford the county town of Hertfordshire is not that big, Would probably fit it all in to Richmond Park.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Do you ever go to work CoG? :mrpig:
Unfortunately I'll be in the office on Monday. Haven't been on the bike since Tuesday due to sore bits. But took a trip out to Decathlon @ Surrey Quays this morning for a couple of pairs of cheapo padded cycling shorts to wear under baggys / trousers and got a more comfortable looking saddle. I'll be going out tomorrow to see how it feels with this comfy new setup :blush:

Just an observation, but car traffic generally seems lighter on Sunday mornings, even on outta town routes. I usually actively avoid biking on Saturdays as Sunday riding is comparatively more enjoyable. Have we considered Sunday rides or are people tied up with family commitments/hangovers etc? Driving to meets would probably be easier on Sundays, although train services would be less frequent.

Jonathan

stevevw

Guru
bleakanddivine said:
Just an observation, but car traffic generally seems lighter on Sunday mornings, even on outta town routes. I usually actively avoid biking on Saturdays as Sunday riding is comparatively more enjoyable. Have we considered Sunday rides or are people tied up with family commitments/hangovers etc? Driving to meets would probably be easier on Sundays, although train services would be less frequent.

Jonathan

I have no idea why but I tend to ride fairly early Saturday mornings and have Sunday as a rest day. But if most people wanted to change to a Sunday ride I would be up for that.

Steve

User1314 said:
Nice work stevevw.

re: Sunday rides. It just depends on Group consensus, I guess. Having said that my Sundays are all busy as I coach Minis' Rugby (but of course one person shouldn't effect the Group Consensus). Maybe have a mix of Sats and Suns?

Or Sons and Suns. Where we're sat watching you?:rolleyes:

stevevw

Guru
I had a big off this morning. Hit some black ice Mr Garmin tells me I was doing 25.4mph at the time and it took just over 2 seconds to stop, seemed like much longer as I can remember thinking that my jacket and tights are going to be ruined. I now have a nice view of my elbow bone, knee not got much skin on and at first I thought I had broken my wrist but as I can move it probably not. Any way the bike seems Ok apart from broken front brake lever/adjuster and a pedal that does not want to turn. So still on for the Jan 3rd ride.

Top Bottom