Epic Fail !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well looking out the window a little earlier & thought it had stopped raining & the trees were'nt quite bent over double, so thought hell why not as its my weigh in night at Weight Watchers tonight & i'm getting close to my goal weight & every little helps apparently ha ha.
Anyway as soon as i got out the protection of my street i realised i'd made a mistake & actually turned back after about half a mile but then thought ah well i'm wet already so i just turned round again & cracked on along the sea front with my feet constantly slipping offf the pedals :cursing: with a kind of side/headwind limiting me to about 10mph max & if i stopped peddaling i stopped dead within about 2 metres !!
This definitely was'nt fun but i persevered through pretty big puddles etc with car's & lorry's blasting through & drenching me...but the worst was yet to come.
I came down this path that i always use which runs adjacent to a fast running road (hence i use the path), its a bit up & down & went through a few puddles that really quite deep covering my foot on the down stroke but came to this extra long 'puddle' of about 30metres or so but thought nothing of it as i was soaked already, got about 5 metres in & realised this one was a little bit deeper than i thought...anyway i ended up with the bike over my shoulder (protecting my phone in my saddle bag) & wading through literally waist deep & FREEZING rain water, there was even 2 nice looking ladies coming the opposite way on horses that just stopped saw me & just turned there horses round ha ha, then i eventually got out the water, remounted & blasted the remaining 4 or 5 miles back home with a massive cheesy grin :biggrin: on my face for some reason......
My clothes are now lying in the bath slowly draining the water out of them
Sorry for the Essay but just had to share it with someone
I suppose some might call that ride 'Character building'....i would just call it an EPIC FAIL !!!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yay, it's not just me that got caught out by deeper water than expected.:dance: I know what you mean about the grin - for some reason once you get past the annoyance and the horrible feeling of getting dunked it feels like a big lark.

I shall be checking and re greasing my wheel bearings and bottom bracket as soon as I can get a dry slot. You may want to do the same.

I woulda looked for a shallower way round the puddle even if it meant holding the traffic up.
feet slipping off...you need to go Clipless - get yourself onto wiggle or chainreaction or the likes.
Where was the puddle WobblyBob?

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

I woulda looked for a shallower way round the puddle even if it meant holding the traffic up.
feet slipping off...you need to go Clipless - get yourself onto wiggle or chainreaction or the likes.
Where was the puddle WobblyBob?
It was adjacent to the Laveroch Hall Road heading down to Blyth, i sometimes stay on the road even tho its a 60mph Rd but thought that would be a bit daft in the wind today so went on the path which is only like a metre wide with grass verges sloping up either side,,,wish i'd gone another way now !!

Yay, it's not just me that got caught out by deeper water than expected.:dance: I know what you mean about the grin - for some reason once you get past the annoyance and the horrible feeling of getting dunked it feels like a big lark.

I shall be checking and re greasing my wheel bearings and bottom bracket as soon as I can get a dry slot. You may want to do the same.
On the back of Phil's advice, pop your rear brake on and stand the bike up on its back wheel to drain out the frame as well

Thanks for the advice,,,,i shall have a look in the garage a little later.

It was adjacent to the Laveroch Hall Road heading down to Blyth, i sometimes stay on the road even tho its a 60mph Rd but thought that would be a bit daft in the wind today so went on the path which is only like a metre wide with grass verges sloping up either side,,,wish i'd gone another way now !!

Thanks for the advice,,,,i shall have a look in the garage a little later.
Lovely fast run down Laverock Rd, often do that route out on a 30 mile loop.
I take it you live nearer Crammy than Blyth.
That "cycle" path is cr4p - only attempted to use it once.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Lovely fast run down Laverock Rd, often do that route out on a 30 mile loop.
I take it you live nearer Crammy than Blyth.
That "cycle" path is cr4p - only attempted to use it once.

Agreed, that cycle track is rubbish but was a little nervous on the fastish road with the gusts, yeah i live in Blyth, just did a little loop along the front then up the Avenue to Seaton Delavel turned right along the Astley Road (loads of big puddles there aswell covering the whole road) to the top of the Laverock then down towards South beach...bout 12 miles but felt like about 40 ha ha

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Well on the advice of someone earlier i've just gone in the garage & tipped the bike onto its back wheel....& low & behold half of the puddle came pouring out of..erm...somewhere ?? But there was alot of it !!

Top Bottom