Eric Elliott Transport Lorry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
[QUOTE 4412857, member: 259"]On the wrong side of a traffic island?[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying it's not against the rules, I'm saying nobody was in danger at any time.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Anybody who has driven a truck with air brakes will know that they are extremely powerful with almost an on/off action and that a panic stamp on the brake pedal will very likely lock the wheels, especially if the truck happens to be unloaded. This will have been in the driver's mind when he looked up from his satnav/cellphone/magazine and realised he was heading for disaster.

Not so. As an LGV driver myself, you can't 'lock the wheels' as all modern lorries have ABS and my lord stops incredibly quickly when empty. Jack knifing would be the real danger, but that's why you drive at all times well within the vehicles limits.

Drago

Legendary Member
No you haven't, you've gone all hysterical like a flouncy about rules but forgot to explain who at what point was in danger.
ive explained quite succinctly how non observance of the rules creates danger, because other drivers will not know how to respond safely to someone behaving unpredictably. I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you - even my five year old understands it. My post was also concise and polite, so in addition to not understanding danger you fail also to understand the art of the flounce.

potsy

Rambler
[QUOTE 4412876, member: 259"]Honestly, you aren't making much sense to me. I used to hear this kind of thing from people who used to drink drive. It looked like a really stupid and dangerous bit of driving and I cannot for the life of me imagine why you're trying to defend it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe we've uncovered the driver? :whistle:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ive explained quite succinctly how non observance of the rules creates danger, because other drivers will not know how to respond safely to someone behaving unpredictably. I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you - even my five year old understands it. My post was also concise and polite, so in addition to not understanding danger you fail also to understand the art of the flounce.
Ah insults, a good way to get your point accross. You did not explain who was in danger and why in the clip. Yes you've explained theoretical risks based on a rule book.
I'm allowed an opinion and imo no one was at risk by that manoeuvre.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
[QUOTE 4412876, member: 259"]Honestly, you aren't making much sense to me. I used to hear this kind of thing from people who used to drink drive. It looked like a really stupid and dangerous bit of driving and I cannot for the life of me imagine why you're trying to defend it.[/QUOTE]
WTF has D&D gotta do with the price of eggs?

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

OP - did you call it in, and if so, any update?

I phoned the transport manager today. He said the driver in question was a long term employee with an exemplary record, and that he wouldn't have been so surprised if it had been one of his other drivers I was calling to complain about. Hmmm, so he has bad drivers, but still employs them??? Anyway, I sent a link to the video, and asked for a response as I was considering taking if further. I also asked him to relay any reason that the driver many offer in his defence. I'll await the TMs reply, then decide what to do.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah insults, a good way to get your point accross. You did not explain who was in danger and why in the clip. Yes you've explained theoretical risks based on a rule book.
I'm allowed an opinion and imo no one was at risk by that manoeuvre.
Could you clarify as to how no one was at risk, and how that was a matter of judgement on the part of the driver and not simply luck?

Can you also explain for us dumb old boys why it is acceptable to contravene mandatory signage?

We're willing to be educated by informed reasoning, so see if you can do netter than 'IMO'.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Explain the dangers.

Let's start with it scared the Bejesus out of me, professional drivers should inflict fear on other road users.

He broke the law.

He was going too fast to stop.

He swerved to avoid a collision. If there had been a pedestrian crossing from right to left he would've been toast. If you think he had time to check before swerving, then your insane.

There could have been a vehicle/cyclist turning right. Now to say he should check it's clear???? I know which way the insurance would go on that one.

He certainly was not in control of the vehicle. If you ever have to swerve to avoid a cloisonné, then you aren't driving safely.

If you honestly believe he did nothing wrong, then I suspect either you don't drive, or your a troll.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Could you clarify as to how no one was at risk, and how that was a matter of judgement on the part of the driver and not simply luck?

Can you also explain for us dumb old boys why it is acceptable to contravene mandatory signage?

We're willing to be educated by informed reasoning, so see if you can do netter than 'IMO'.
You're the one who seems be put out by opinion. But as yet, beyond bleating like a lamb, you not given me the time and who was at danger. The video has a perfectly good time line, maybe use to sway my opinion.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Let's start with it scared the Bejesus out of me, professional drivers should inflict fear on other road users.

He broke the law.

He was going too fast to stop.

He swerved to avoid a collision. If there had been a pedestrian crossing from right to left he would've been toast. If you think he had time to check before swerving, then your insane.

There could have been a vehicle/cyclist turning right. Now to say he should check it's clear???? I know which way the insurance would go on that one.

He certainly was not in control of the vehicle. If you ever have to swerve to avoid a cloisonné, then you aren't driving safely.

If you honestly believe he did nothing wrong, then I suspect either you don't drive, or your a troll.
I'll agree he broke a minor rule. As for all your other opinions, supposition based on IFs and BUTs and COULD OFs. As for not being in control, nonsense, he slowed and then saw there was no oncoming traffic he overtook. Take away the empty pedestrian island it's a simple every day occurance.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which part is swaying your opinion, and how? stop keep repeating the word 'opinion' and actually give us something to explain the thought processes behind it. He failed to see the traffic island, or more accurately failed to look for it - having failed to do this, why should he be any better at spotting pedestrians or oncoming traffic? The moment he realised he'd boobed he should have aborted.

And please answer the question about mandatory signage, seeing as your opinion is so all encompassing. Its frightening to think you're qualified to wear the string vest and pilot of one these vehicles with an outlook and attitude such as yours. I bet you don't tell your employer that you think such antics are ok.

Last edited:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Which part is swaying your opinion, and how? stop keep repeating the word 'opinion' and actually give us something to explain the thought processes behind it.

And please answer the question about mandatory signage, seeing as your opinion is so all encompassing.
I've asked soooo many times for you to present your evidence as to who and at what time they were in danger. Why you no answer?

swansonj

Guru
You're the one who seems be put out by opinion. But as yet, beyond bleating like a lamb, you not given me the time and who was at danger. The video has a perfectly good time line, maybe use to sway my opinion.
Let's give this one last try. An act is not dangerous only if there is victim in the right place and time to be injured by it. It is dangerous if there is a significant chance of such a person being present regardless of whether they actually are.

Drink driving is dangerous whether or not someone is on the road in front of you.

Firing a gun into a crowded space is dangerous whether or not anyone happens to be in the firing line.

Overtaking the wrong side of a mandatory traffic sign in a spot with road facilities designed for pedestrians at a junction where visibility is obscured by a bus is dangerous whether or not someone crosses the road or emerges from the junction.

Top Bottom