error codes 3 and 4 (dell pc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
hi
my dell e520 as gone on the blink and the green numbers 3 and 4 are showing solid,the user manual is long gone so have we any pc gurus online

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1054146

That suggests its a memory problem and you should try removing one of the modules if theres more than one. Really depends on how confident you are doing that and whether or not you have a warranty to void i guess.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
thanks for the reply
it was a bad piece of memery which has been removed

the dell is very old and now with the memory out is so slow i need to update

im well out of touch pc's and looking on ebay you can get a tower with a trillion gigs for a few hundred quid.

what would be the mimum requirments to buy a pc today so its not completely obsolete tomorrow?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the PC was okay for you before the memory problem, why not just replace the faulty memory module? Incidentally - are you sure that the memory is faulty? It might be that it wasn't quite seated properly. Blow out any dust and reseat it - it might start working again. If not, take a look at the Crucial Memory website to check the price of new module.

im well out of touch pc's and looking on ebay you can get a tower with a trillion gigs for a few hundred quid
What's it called ? Canary Wharf ? ^_^ (given a trillion gigabytes would be a billion terrabyte drives)
About £22 for a gb of RAM for an e520 from crucial. It's newer than my 7 year old desktop for which RAM is still available so don't be so hasty with the old description.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Like Colin said, have a look at Crucials website, theres a little program on there that will tell you what current modules and slots you have and what your upgrade options are, then you can buy from them or shop around with the information. :smile:

Theres very little point upgrading PCs regularly these days unless you have a reason to do so, such as gaming, video editing etc. A fairly old PC is more than enough for web browsing, checking email etc. All depends what you plan to do with it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm still using an 11 year old XP-based desktop PC. The only problem with it is that the onboard graphics are not fast enough to cope with HD videos. I installed a PCI graphics card to try and fix that but it didn't make any difference. I reckon the 1.2 GHz Athlon can't get data to the card fast enough. I can use my laptop to watch videos, but it is a bit of a nuisance having to switch it on just for that.

Still, apart from slow graphics performamance, the old PC is fine. I'll keep using it until WIN XP support is stopped and will probably then stick Linux on it.

Top Bottom