eScooter Hire Firm Pushing to End Restrictive Road Regulation, Possible Implications for e-Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, as I predicted, it doesn't look like they'll succeed. It's been in the papers this week that a 15 year old lad was knocked off for all the licence, insurance, and MOT offences, and in court got a fine and 6 points to automatically go on his licence when he applies. They didn't say how fast he was going, but he was also knocked off for speeding so the mind boggles.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think electric cars will be mainstream in my lifetime unless costs drop dramatically, and why would they, if regulation are in place to ensure other options are restricted?

A Focus costs as much as the similarly sized Leaf, and Ford sell them as quickly as they can build them, so I don't think that's the impediment.

What would be the chances of front and rear brakes failing at the same time on a bike though?

I ride a quaracycle, hydraulic brakes, but the only time I've lost a brake was when it was tampered with. It was a two mile ride with one front brake and two rear to get it repaired.

At present, the pieces that stands out from the story is "the brake failed" not brakes. And that it was hit on a level crossing, why didn't the barrier stop them? Or was it ignored.

At present it's too early to say, time will say what happened. Then we can speculate on the impact on cycles.
The full story is it accelerated without any easy way to stop it research showed that the changed the engine during and model update and that the brakes where not powerfull enough to stop it. This model had a emergency brake but it was to hard to operate the thing went just trough the barriers. (they go aournd 30km/h)
Bicycles are a lot less dangerous i got home with a broken brake cable multiple times, so that is not the issue, on a side not they should jail f*ckers tampering with anyone's brakes. However this topic was about bicycles or electric motorcycles who are by design or enigne power able to go above 15.5mph i think an mot or some kind of thorough test before they are allowed on the road isn't a bad thing. The electric cart i quoted in my earlier post had problems with accelerating without the user being able to control the thing if a cable broke, and had numerous of other issues which would have stopped it from being allowed on the road if an MOT like check was made mandatory but it fell trough the rules with devastating consequences .

A Focus costs as much as the similarly sized Leaf, and Ford sell them as quickly as they can build them, so I don't think that's the impediment.
There are so many models upcoming, and the quick charging is getting better and better to, i predict within 10 years most new cars sold are being electric.

classic33

Leg End Member
The full story is it accelerated without any easy way to stop it research showed that the changed the engine during and model update and that the brakes where not powerfull enough to stop it. This model had a emergency brake but it was to hard to operate the thing went just trough the barriers. (they go aournd 30km/h)
Bicycles are a lot less dangerous i got home with a broken brake cable multiple times, so that is not the issue, on a side not they should jail f*ckers tampering with anyone's brakes. However this topic was about bicycles or electric motorcycles who are by design or enigne power able to go above 15.5mph i think an mot or some kind of thorough test before they are allowed on the road isn't a bad thing. The electric cart i quoted in my earlier post had problems with accelerating without the user being able to control the thing if a cable broke, and had numerous of other issues which would have stopped it from being allowed on the road if an MOT like check was made mandatory but it fell trough the rules with devastating consequences .
The type of vehicle involved in the incident was more of a gargo mobility scooter than a pedal cycle with electric assist. All power coming from the motors, with none from pedals.

The impact of this incident should be greater on mobility scooters than e-bikes or electric assist.

The fact a steel barrier failed to stop it, gives an indication of the power available to the thumb of the person in charge.

The type of vehicle involved in the incident was more of a gargo mobility scooter than a pedal cycle with electric assist. All power coming from the motors, with none from pedals.

The impact of this incident should be greater on mobility scooters than e-bikes or electric assist.

The fact a steel barrier failed to stop it, gives an indication of the power available to the thumb of the person in charge.
Agree with you on that, but a pedal cycle with a strong motor(as that was kind of the discussion in this topic) is just as dangerous for someone untrained or with dodgy electrical wiring it might or might not go trough a metal fence, the dangers also lay on other issues like changed handling of the bike. It's not like the more powerfull once are forbidden now they are just subject to more rules. Like @Drago already pointed out earlier.

classic33

Leg End Member
Agree with you on that, but a pedal cycle with a strong motor(as that was kind of the discussion in this topic) is just as dangerous for someone untrained or with dodgy electrical wiring it might or might not go trough a metal fence, the dangers also lay on other issues like changed handling of the bike. It's not like the more powerfull once are forbidden now they are just subject to more rules. Like @Drago already pointed out earlier.
A pedal cycle wouldn't normally be relying on the motor only for motive power. The vehicle you mentioned may have an impact on stronger motors on pedal cycles relied soley on the electric motor operated by a thumb switch, no throttle.

A loophole was found within the law and it was used to produce the vehicle involved in the incident. Not the first incident either, just one that involved a passenger train.

At present mobility scooters are subject to very few rules. And in recent years have been allowed to have a faster top speed.

MarkF

Guru

What I meant was then. When electric vehicles are our only choice, the manufacturers will take advantage and we'll be sold a pile of expensive poo with horrendous residuals.

Anyway.........I am not driving a car called a "leaf" or one that looks like a Nissan leaf, I'd rather die.

Sharky

Guru
Just had a short break in Paris and was amazed at the extent that electric scooters were being used.

They are a perfect solution for getting round the city. They seemed to be everywhere, just waiting to be picked up. Not sure how/when they get recharged.

But the way the Parisians use them takes your breath away. Riding on roads and pavements, in and out of traffic and between pedestrians, ignoring red lights and when dark rarely with lights.

Makes cyclists in London "angels".

It would be a shame if they are not allowed in the uk as they are a brilliant solution, but it needs commmon sense regulations to make usage safe for everybody.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cheap Chinese e-bikes often allow electric power only, no need to pedal. My father's Powabyke Salisbury certainly does this.

Drago

Legendary Member
What I meant was then. When electric vehicles are our only choice, the manufacturers will take advantage and we'll be sold a pile of expensive poo with horrendous residuals.

Anyway.........I am not driving a car called a "leaf" or one that looks like a Nissan leaf, I'd rather die.

A car is a means if transport, one which is injurious to the health of the user, a serious safety risk, and damaging to the environment. Their appearance is about 64th on the list of societies priorities when it comes to cars. My Smart looks like a dog turd on wheels painted silver, but that's utterly irrelevant to its minimal use of resources to manufacture and run, which are the real priorities.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Why so disparaging? They're surprisingly nippy vehicles, as my neighbour found out a few weeks ago. He was dubious, but now he's turned over a new leaf.

Drago

Legendary Member
Let the doubters doubt Mr Poacher. In a few years their choices will be electric car, bicycle, or walk, and all the complaining and excuses in the world won t change it.

Thqt said, the Leaf itselfmisnt much of a step in the right direction. Replacing 1600kg petrol or diesel cars with 1600kg electric ones has little, if any, NET benefit to the planet. People's brains will need to be recalibrate to get used to the idea of cars half that weight if they want to genuinely do something to reduce environmental impact.

Going back to the electric scooter, I'm all for it in the physical sense. I believe, however, that any kind of performance beyond 15mph-ish should require the licence and insurance etc, but the system should be streamlined and simplified to reflect the more limited impact and risk they present. Utterly unlegislated is, I believe, a no no.

Last edited:
I think as usual, the government are being illogical.

Consider motor scooters are smaller engined motorcycles. They have to have an MOT to deem them roadworthy. Great. So they should. But then they let a 16 year old kid ride it after just 6 hours training. The machine might be roadworthy but is the rider?

But its a tricky one. I can do a lot more than 15mph on my mountain bike. As it happens, I am blessed with a working brain and I value my life, so I ensure my bike is well maintained and I check it very regularly. Not difficult to do with a bike. Unlike my car which has a gazillion load bearing parts, most out of which are either out of sight or beyond my understanding or both. So I can see the need for an mot on a car, but on a bike?

MarkF

Guru
A car is a means if transport, one which is injurious to the health of the user, a serious safety risk, and damaging to the environment. Their appearance is about 64th on the list of societies priorities when it comes to cars. My Smart looks like a dog turd on wheels painted silver, but that's utterly irrelevant to its minimal use of resources to manufacture and run, which are the real priorities.

But it's first on mine. If I don't like the look of it, I won't buy it and it looks like a horrible lardy blob of nothingness.

Top Bottom