Espresso coffee...why do people bother with it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
On this subject, a couple weeks ago as the wife and myself drove past a Costa, whatever coffee house, I remarked, its amazing a tea type outlet has never happened.
Lo and behold, a week later I was watching the BBC Business News one morning and there was a shirt report on how chai houses are beginning to proliferate in that there London.

DogmaStu

In Portugal a very strong Espresso is preferred; Arabica and Robusta beans slow roasted.

The idea is for the drink to be short and quick, not savoured. A ‘pick me up’ so to speak. Often a stop at a cafe before work, quick Espresso, on they go.

My friends there have this ritual every day.

Personally, I despise coffee generally, literally can make me nauseous. Tea not much better, so avoid that too.

I hated meetings at work in closed rooms where everyone had coffees. Worse when I was asked to make it! People never understood how much I despise it.

nagden

Über Member
I’m a big coffee drinker and visit my local bar every morning for my post ride coffee. It is not an espresso like the espresso you get in the UK. It is probably twice the size and a lot cheaper. Personally I find the real espressos a bit of a let down. I enjoy the taste but there is not enough of it. I have tried an Americano in the UK but find them a bit weak. When in the UK in September I settled on a double espresso and put up with the price.

figbat

Slippery scientist
espresso tastes rather different to a latté - the point being different people have different tastes

Or, indeed, there are different drinks to satisfy different situations. I won't down a whisky to slake a post-ride thirst any more than I would sip slowly on a beer for a nightcap.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Why do people drink whisky rather than beer?
I'll volunteer for brain scan experiments to determine if folk perceive flavours differently... Because i can't stand the strength of flavour of whisky.

Anyone who likes the stuff.... I can only imagine their taste buds are barely working!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
TBF there is a wide-spread school of thought that it tastes better with a little water!

When checking whisky in a glass for that purpose you just sniff initially and then swill it around the glass while warming it in your hands then sniff again. Only then may you add a little water and taste. One expert of my acquaintance used to spill some on his hands, rub together, then cup hands and sniff. He never tasted.
We once set up a testing panel with a variety of staff. The one with the most sensitive nose was one of the office girls and the chief blender was way down in the ranking.
There is often a lot of kidology involved.
I was often asked "what is the best whisky?" and my answer was always " the one you like best".

Top Bottom