Espresso coffee...why do people bother with it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Flat white has too much milk in compared to a white Americano?

how would i know , i havent had milk in tea or coffee in 30 + years :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
On long motorway trips (and ONLY then), I have gingerbread lattes to stay awake.

To Italians, this is probably the coffee equivalent of the Hawaiian pizza.

I get a large coffee but keep it until the next motorway (my regular motorway journey has 5 different motorways) when I feel tired drinking the warm coffee gives me something to do and and subsequently keeps me awake, then finally my bladder tells me it's time for a break!🤣🤣

simongt

Guru
just say " A bit of whisky please".
Or in my case, a shot of rum - ! :okay:
When I were lad in the early 70s, I was responsible for the weekly order of the dry goods for the hotel where I was a 'junior assistant manager' viz dogsbody in a suit - ! :rofl: The delivery would arrive, we would unload it and I would then get two coffees for me and the driver. When we'd drunk half of said coffees, the driver would produce a flask of what he called his 'winter warmer' ( rum ). The coffee cups were duly 'topped up' and we would carry on checking the delivery.
The hotel manager never sussed why I always came out of the dry store a bit unsteady on my feet - ! :laugh:
Ahh, happy days - ! ^_^

Most people would think of Americano being white unless stated as black Americano??
I don't think you can use this term any more? 🤷‍♂️

Not sure I really appreciate all these gleaming, steaming coffee machines, or the theatre of the barista at work.
I'd be happy with a mug of filter coffee. The queues in National Trust cafes would be a hell of a lot shorter/quicker!
Someone should work out the gains in UK productivity from stopping all this nonsense.

(I reckon several rider-hours would be saved on an Audax alone!)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or you could treat yourself and get a Gregg's coffee - ! ^_^ In my experience, it tends to be served tepid anyway. :dry:

our dinner break at work is half an hour , more like 20 mins by the time you get from where your working and get back .No one even goes to the canteen afaik as you just dont have time to eat a proper meal

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
And presumably an unfiltered gitanes fag for the full three course breakfast
Gitanes or Gauloises can be hard to find in the UK. Take a tip (literally) from the French exchange students, and snip the filters off B&H. Apparently it gives the tarry taste they crave :smile:

simongt

Guru
Ahh, my favorite brand when I was a student - ! Back then, they were 29p. for twenty, with No.6 being about 24p. Expensive, but as I was the only one brave enough to smoke them at college, when it came to 'flash the ash' at break times, my offer was always 'politely refused' - ! :laugh:

simongt

Guru
Listening to a programme on R4 about the changing coffee 'culture' and the 'expert' from Hereford ( I think ) University spoke of 'lartey' coffees - ! :wacko:
Gob full o' plums - ! :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
As a non coffee drinker generally speaking, I see a lot of Europeans favour these espresso type coffees from the vending machines at work.
On holidays in Greece particularly, you'd often see a love of coffee, all sorts, particularly locals drinking it in the morning.
Having worked in Cyprus a lot, I even got a taste for Greek coffee, a small cup with maybe 3 or 4 spoonfuls of coffee, pan boiled.
Quite simply (I think) it's the hit it gives people. I suspect people were Indulging in caffeine hits long before the advent of energy drinks

Top Bottom