Espresso coffee...why do people bother with it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie: An Americano is an espresso topped up with hot water. Now what on earth is the point of that?
As with many things American!

At home I tend to make a 'long black' with the Gaggia Classic 19g fresh ground coffee and then keep the water flowing to about 120g (random mark on my glass). Works fine for me, especially with a really good Pastis after brekkie!

At home I tend to make a 'long black' with the Gaggia Classic 19g fresh ground coffee and then keep the water flowing to about 120g (random mark on my glass). Works fine for me, especially with a really good Pastis after brekkie!

Shame on you! Pastis with espresso. It's grappa you want! And grappa in the espresso of course is a caffè corretto.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

And presumably an unfiltered gitanes fag for the full three course breakfast

Jameshow

Veteran
Boiling water is the enemy of all coffee whichever way you make it (especially instant).

Our Nespresso machine makes it too cold so adding hot water brings it up to temp!

The other machine we have is a Bosch Tassimo and has a strength, temp and volume adjustment button which is great.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My reasoning's are similar to FF's. Although i have a bean 2 cup machine, which can't match the quality of those who have a proper barista class espresso machine and have the time to sit there with a stop watch, scales and all the bells and whistles. Instead, i push a button and some coffee comes out. The freshness of the bean has a massive effect on the quality of the espresso though, which i imagine is the same for any coffee machine really. That being said, my machine has the option for a "caffe crema" which is essentially a long espresso and that is my go to hot beverage.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our Nespresso machine makes it too cold so adding hot water brings it up to temp!

The other machine we have is a Bosch Tassimo and has a strength, temp and volume adjustment button which is great.

I have a more basic Tassimo.
I tend to vary my drink eg sometimes black, sometimes with milk, sometimes with brandy.
If black the temperature is just right but anything else needs 12* seconds in the micro.
*12 is just right.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My reasoning's are similar to FF's. Although i have a bean 2 cup machine, which can't match the quality of those who have a proper barista class espresso machine and have the time to sit there with a stop watch, scales and all the bells and whistles. Instead, i push a button and some coffee comes out. The freshness of the bean has a massive effect on the quality of the espresso though, which i imagine is the same for any coffee machine really. That being said, my machine has the option for a "caffe crema" which is essentially a long espresso and that is my go to hot beverage.

I would like one of those but 1 cup per day max doesn't justify it.....does it ??

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Well, pods are wrong anyway - it's a way to sell you water and unnecessary packaging. Italians use moka pots at home and cafés have espresso machines.

Espresso size is useful in hot countries (or in hot weather here) when you want a coffee but don't want a huge cup of hot liquid. It's not uncommon to have an espresso and a glass of cold water as a chaser.

Alex321

Veteran
An espresso is a small, very strong coffee, and with almost all machines, of whatever level, is the base element of most coffees, with added water, milk, or other noxious substances to make the final product.

With the mug I use, Our B2C machine in the office, it fits one double espresso and two americanos. I'm finding that is a bit too much for me though. I like my coffee strong, but that quantity is too much if I even have two in the day.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The taste of a good espresso hangs around your mouth a lot longer than it takes to drink a large mug of a longer coffee, such as an Americano, Latte or filter coffee. And you are free to wander around and head off somewhere whilst enjoying the flavour.

Top Bottom