Espresso coffee...why do people bother with it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The world's very first espresso was served at Turin railway station about 120 years ago, served up by Lavazza to commuters in a hurry. The Lavazza coffee factory is now a museum dedicated to espresso.

@Fab Foodie: An Americano is an espresso topped up with hot water. Now what on earth is the point of that?
Clue is in the name. The point is in keeping Americans happy.

newts

Veteran
Though (despite Amazon's claims) a moka pot, like a Bialetti for example, doesn't make a true espresso.

With a little practice & fine tuning of grind size you can brew an excellent coffee from a moka pot.

The taste of a good espresso hangs around your mouth a lot longer than it takes to drink a large mug of a longer coffee, such as an Americano, Latte or filter coffee. And you are free to wander around and head off somewhere whilst enjoying the flavour.
A well brewed espresso flavour will easily last >2hours on the palate, that's why it's worth the effort☕

stephec

Legendary Member
I would like one of those but 1 cup per day max doesn't justify it.....does it ??

Depends what you mean by justify, purely monetary then maybe not, but.....

My Gaggia Classic cost £120 second hand, they're around £460 new, in absolutely tip top condition, my grinder was £240 new, and I've now started buying beans from a local roasters that average about £8 for 240g which lasts just over a week making two double espressos a day.

If I was to buy the same amount in a high street cafe at £2.50 that's £35 a week so I'm saving £27, it might take a while to get back the initial hardware costs but it's worth it to me to be able to have something at home that's better than anything in the shops.

newts

Veteran
Anyone got a view on aeropress made coffee? Anyone actually tried it! LOL!

Yes, I used one everyday for about a year, before moving to other brew methods. Makes a very good cuppa, hot water @ 90-95c. Not quite as strong as coffee brewed in a moka pot. Aeropress goes with me in the suitcase when travelling.

simongt

Guru
Some years back when I was running two jobs; day and evening five days a week just to make ends meet, at the evening job in a hotel I would pop Pro Plus tablets and wash them down with expresso coffees simply to keep me awake and 'on task'.
The main downside for me that whilst my body was dog tired, my brain was so wired that it wanted to keep on going. :eek: Not nice. :dry:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not sure I really appreciate all these gleaming, steaming coffee machines, or the theatre of the barista at work.
I'd be happy with a mug of filter coffee. The queues in National Trust cafes would be a hell of a lot shorter/quicker!

Jameshow

Veteran
Not sure I really appreciate all these gleaming, steaming coffee machines, or the theatre of the barista at work.
I'd be happy with a mug of filter coffee. The queues in National Trust cafes would be a hell of a lot shorter/quicker!

I find coop instant ok and only £1.10 a jar!!!🤣🤣🤣🍿🍿🍿

Top Bottom