Espresso coffee...why do people bother with it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Most people would think of Americano being white unless stated as black Americano??

Depends on which story you believe.

I read that during WWII, or when a lot of Italians emigrated to America, pick which ever version you prefer the sound of, they made their usual espresso weaker by adding an equal amount of hot water to it as it was too strong for American tastes.

Why LOL?

They don't compare to gear costing hundreds of pounds but they do make a very reasonable coffee.

I expected it to get a response from the coffee snobs. It's actually a very good way to make coffee. If you ever use French press or moka pot the aeropress I've found makes a better coffee. The other ones seem to make the coffee a little more bitter than the same coffee in an aeropress.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Some years back when I was running two jobs; day and evening five days a week just to make ends meet, at the evening job in a hotel I would pop Pro Plus tablets and wash them down with expresso coffees simply to keep me awake and 'on task'.
The main downside for me that whilst my body was dog tired, my brain was so wired that it wanted to keep on going. :eek: Not nice. :dry:

Sounds like me when I used to do rotating day and night shifts,on nights I was wired on caffeine just to stay awake.around 3 am I generally felt homicidal

Jameshow

Veteran
Much better than a cafetiere, filter coffee, or coffee from a cheap machine. And much more portable to than any of those other options too.

And affordable!
Must get a paper filter for my next cycle tour, having a long coffee at leasure is a great pleasure!

Alex321

Veteran
I must admit americano is my drink of choice on cafe stop rides , what annoys me is you are asking for a black coffee and they ask if you want milk?
no i want a black coffee ffs !

That one really irritates me too. When "Americano" first became a term, it specifically meant a black coffee, and I still order it on that basis. Why would I then want milk with it?

At east in the coffee machine in work it still means a black coffee.

Alex321

Veteran
Most people would think of Americano being white unless stated as black Americano??

In which case "most people" would be wrong.

I've never come across anywhere that if you ask for an Americano they automatically serve it with milk, but most do ask if you want milk, or ask if you want it white or black.

Jameshow

Veteran
In which case "most people" would be wrong.

I've never come across anywhere that if you ask for an Americano they automatically serve it with milk, but most do ask if you want milk, or ask if you want it white or black.

Probably an age thing!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have one big mug of cafetiere coffee for breakfast, and that's usually it for the day. I only have double expressos on long motorway journeys, when loitering at hospitals before appointments, and after a restaurant meal when everybody else is feasting on puddings.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That one really irritates me too. When "Americano" first became a term, it specifically meant a black coffee, and I still order it on that basis. Why would I then want milk with it?
In italy, if you want a white coffee that's not a cappucino, an Americano con un po' di latte is the most reliable way to get one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

At east in the coffee machine in work it still means a black coffee.

indeed

1699424701295.jpeg

Top Bottom