Essex/Suffolk experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Does anyone know if it's possible to cross the Stour and Orwell rivers south-east of Ipswich? I want to get from Wrabness to Orford but I suspect I'll have to go around Ipswich. I hoped there might be a ferry.

asterix

Comrade Member
I used to commute on a foot-ferry on which bikes were allowed. It ran from the Halfpenny Pier in Harwich to Felixstowe Dock several times a day. It looks like it still does - and they still carry bikes.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Spot on, cheers. That crosses both rivers in one trip. I note that it also opens after Good Friday which is just right.

Moondog

Harwich/Felixstowe/Shotley Foot Ferry

Rich P

Do not commit yourself without making phone contact with the owner.

I have seen several hopefulls stranded at the quay side on wet windy days when the owner decides there is not enough business to bother.

Were you aware of the Bawdsey/Felixstowe Ferry Ferry.This would help.
01394 450637 Again a fairish weather operation i think.

I live by Wrabness and often cycle to Ipswich.I go via the Alton Resevoir B1080 althoughA137 is do-able for a competent assertive cyclist.Trucks working between Felixstowe and Harwich are the problem.

Hope this helps.

Excellent B+B just by the carpark to the RSPB Nature Reserve.If it is any help i will get the phone number for you.

Have a good trip.

N

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks Moondog. I have just found out that the ferry doesn't open this year (early Easter?) until May but we can book it privately for £35. I'll check the other ferry too. Thanks for the info.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Rich P, as moondog says make sure you make the call first as it does have a tendancy not to bother turning up at times. The Felixstowe - Bawdsy foot ferry is an excellent service and I am sure this one operates weekends only during the winter and daily through the summer. I might be that end of town this Sunday so I will take a snout over there and see if they have a timetable up.

Otherwise the B180 past Alton reservoir is certainly quite a fast moving road but once into and through Ipswich and onwards to Woodbridge the trip to Orford is a great ride. Aldburgh is also only about 10 miles away and has a fantastic fish and chip shop selling freshly caught fish and at one time was in the good food guide (could still be) http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/image_galleries/aldeburgh_gallery.shtml?21

bonj2

Just get yourself a cheap boat off ebay, have it delivered to one side, and put it back on ebay for sale with its pick up from location listed as the other side.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks all.

Great info.

Moondog, I would appreciate the tel no. of the b&b please if poss. I have found one whose name escapes me but a recommmendation would be better.

FFF, if you can get the timetable without putting yourself out too much, it would be greatly appreciated. We aim to be there on April 21st or 22nd.

4F

rich p said:
Thanks all.

Great info.

Moondog, I would appreciate the tel no. of the b&b please if poss. I have found one whose name escapes me but a recommmendation would be better.

FFF, if you can get the timetable without putting yourself out too much, it would be greatly appreciated. We aim to be there on April 21st or 22nd.

No problem. I take my boy to golf on Sunday mornings and the ferry is less than 1/2 mile away so as long as I remember I will have a look.

Moondog

Rich P Will get the phone number on Sunday and post it for you.

Road past Wrabness is closed for a couple of days because of resurfacing.Well that's my excuse for not venturing forth in the hurricane.

I'ts on my usual Sunday run so i will get it then.

N

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Moondog said:
Rich P Will get the phone number on Sunday and post it for you.

Road past Wrabness is closed for a couple of days because of resurfacing.Well that's my excuse for not venturing forth in the hurricane.

I'ts on my usual Sunday run so i will get it then.

N

Cheers!

Moondog

Woodview Cottage,Wrabness Road.

Rich P

Weather was so pleasant i knocked out a few miles along the Stour today.

Address is shown in title. 01255 886413 Owner's name is Anne.
Opposite to car park entrance for Wrabness Woods Nature Reserve (although it has now been re-badged.Stour Valley something or other.)

Very quiet.15mins bike ride to Harwich or Manningtree on quiet roads for food.

Mention of myself,Nick and dog,Jakob should get you an extra slice of fried bread for breakfast.

N

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Moondog said:
Rich P

Weather was so pleasant i knocked out a few miles along the Stour today.

Address is shown in title. 01255 886413 Owner's name is Anne.
Opposite to car park entrance for Wrabness Woods Nature Reserve (although it has now been re-badged.Stour Valley something or other.)

Very quiet.15mins bike ride to Harwich or Manningtree on quiet roads for food.

Mention of myself,Nick and dog,Jakob should get you an extra slice of fried bread for breakfast.

N

Thanks for that. I owe you a virtual pint!

4F

Hi Rich P I ventured to the Felixstowe - Bawdsey ferry point this am. It is up and running from 1st April from 10am to 4 pm (or could be 6) and the cost to cyclists is £ 3.50 single crossing and £ 5.00 return. To get there you should follow the signs for "Old Felixstowe" / the Golf Club and then the road to the ferry goes directly though the golf course, keep an eye out for low flying golf balls !! Nice little cafe at the ferry point. If you need any other info let us know.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Hi Rich P I ventured to the Felixstowe - Bawdsey ferry point this am. It is up and running from 1st April from 10am to 4 pm (or could be 6) and the cost to cyclists is £ 3.50 single crossing and £ 5.00 return. To get there you should follow the signs for "Old Felixstowe" / the Golf Club and then the road to the ferry goes directly though the golf course, keep an eye out for low flying golf balls !! Nice little cafe at the ferry point. If you need any other info let us know.

Thanks FFFF, I'm looking forward to a cruise!

Top Bottom