Estate car or MPV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
...and where do you carry the spare once you've switched them?
You don't need a spare, my car doesn't have a spare and no runflats. Bottle of tyre weld (although I would keep pumping tyre up every few miles until I get home/tyre place as few places will repair a tyre once its used) and a compressor.

pawl

Legendary Member
I own a Ctroen Picaso diesel,have had this car from newf or six years.Other than tyres,brake pads/discs ihave had no probs.MPG 58 to 60

^_^ If I didn't save more money getting contract hire ones I'd consider it.... only stumbling block is everyone in my family, except me, has an irrational contempt for the word 'Skoda', and wouldn't have one if you paid them. Sad.
A friend of mine found the same thing when he took it into his local garage, he said to them " have you got any windscreen wipers for my Skoda?" to which the reply was after a fair bit of chin scratching, " yes alright then, that seems a fair swap"
The old ones are the best.

I know Skoda's have lots of bells and whistles as standard but they don't seem to hold their resale value very well after 3 years
.....Because they cost less to buy in the first place?

Don't forget, that despite the fact that we all compare the Octavia to a Passat (size-wise) that it's mainly based on an extended Golf floorpan/mechanicals

^_^ If I didn't save more money getting contract hire ones I'd consider it.... only stumbling block is everyone in my family, except me, has an irrational contempt for the word 'Skoda', and wouldn't have one if you paid them. Sad.
Yes, I know people like that.... the mother-in-law for example.
She was extremely dismissive of them, even the Fabia estate we bought new a few years ago.

That was until SWMBO got a company car (at the time) & she offered M-in-L the Fabia:whistle:
Suddenly it was the best little car around....... then for some stupid reason, she px'd it for a Hyundai Amica (ie; bean-can on wheels - blimey!, was that thing awful?!)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Cheers Richard,
The Superb and the Passat are the 'same' car, at least they were exactly the same when they started ... I presumed the Octavia and Golf Est/Jetta were.
Don't forget that I contract hire through the business as I get half the VAT back on contract hire so the initial purchase price doesn't matter, it's the residual re-sale value that contract hire companies base the monthly charges on, and the monthly charge is all I'm bothered about.

But as far as the OP's concerned all this is irrelevant, so a 3 year old Xsara Picasso would tick the boxes for me!

Large

Duty idiot
The original list:

VW Passat Estate (best of the bunch so far)
VW Touran (seemed a bit basic)
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (great gadgets worried about reliability)
Peugeot Estates ??
Can't comment on the VWs (Don't like 'em, never will, haven't driven them for that reason) but he C4 is getting long in the tooth now, although it does everything well. I drive a Citoen C6 and it has more gadgets than the Enterprise, and has been very reliable, apart from the infernal tyre pressure sensors. But I digress.

When the C6 was in for a minor body repair, I was given a brand new Peugeot 508 estate which I liked a lot. A typical estate car that does all you would expect. Big and comfortable, drives like a regular car.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the Ford S-Max which, IMO, is the best-driving MPV you can buy. Looks good too.

Longshot

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the Ford S-Max which, IMO, is the best-driving MPV you can buy. Looks good too.

Indeed. I tried to get my wife to have one rather than the Touran but she didn't wasn't keen on the extra length and width (which. let's face it, is unusual for a woman and perhaps explains a lot).

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I still think Skoda have had the last laugh when it came down to all the jokers,they won their class for over twenty years in rallying up against the likes of Vauxhall,Renault ect with the rear engined cars and the Favorit.They have been the brand to beat in the IRC with the Fabia for the past two years.....again against more "popular" brands,they have won no end of awards for the road cars they produce,again above "popular" brands yet people in this country still snigger at the name that has been producing cars since 1895 ! I have owned Skoda's old and newish,the oldest being a 1977 Estelle which i happily drove to the Czech Republic twice along with the two Rapid Coupes which i have lost count how many times we blatted across European borders in.Skoda is brilliant and does more than enough for the cost you pay.VW knew what they were buying into when it was offered by the Czech goverment,a product that they could make money on !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I used to think the same of Skoda's until a few years ago when I test drove the Octovia. My choice was between the Octavia, Passat and a Renault Megane and it was an easy decision. They have come on leaps and bounds and when I change it in a years time (company car on 3 years lease) without doubt I will get another one.

Top Bottom