Estimate £ of my LBS job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My rate to clients in old job was £196 an hour. Obviously not paid a fraction of that and not an incredibly profitable company. But goes to show what costs are needed to cover a large global business

screenman

Legendary Member
I charged a customer £45 today for a 10 minute job, he was delighted with the outcome and gave me a £5 tip.

One of my customer sold his Saab dealership and retired when just the rates and insurance reached £150,000pa.

screenman

Legendary Member
£10-15 is alot more than minimum wage the majority of people in my area around durham dont earn anywhere near that an hour, so i dont see how they can justify £40+ thats on par with some very high up jobs
If I was you I would stick with the Army as for sure you do not have any business knowledge, have a read of some of the other posts.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Amuses me how you can know its a "relatively easy " job when you cant do it yourself.

If you can find a bike mechanic working in a garden shed cash in hand then maybe 10 to 15 quid will do it.

They dont have to justify it they charge it people pay it.

The point is this is a business not a job.

An employee gets paid for every hour they work a business can only charge for hours actually worked on jobs.

so unloading vans, sweeping floor ,making coffee, doing the books ,chatting to customers about bikes or jobs they may or may not buy/ have done etc etc all have to be payed for and noone specifically to charge for it.

Add on the overheads of rent ,rates power /water, insurances, a company vehicle etc etc . I dont think many small bike shop owners reach the richest 100 list.
I've heard a couple of conversations whilst in Evans between potential customers and the mechanics.
A lot of people want or expect even a job done on their bike for what amounts to beer money. They can't grasp why there is an hourly rate for the job.
Basically, if you don't want to pay, learn to do it yourself.

screenman

Legendary Member
In my trade most people know somebody who is cheaper, nobody has ever seen or met this shadowy guy though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You are also paying for the fact that the LBS has the specific tools needed and you don't - just one of the many overheads vickster mentioned.
£30-£40 doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Some jobs are better left to the professionals for quickness, if you need a working bike and are still at the experimenting stage of fettling.
The OP earns £10 (minus tax and NI, I guess) per hour (lucky him! :sad:) so, say 5 hours for him to watch you tube videos, do the job, then maybe having to do it again, there's your £50 to the LBS, OP still has 5 hours of his time plus a fettled bike.

young Ed

Veteran
yeo about 30 -40 quid sounds right for the labor only
for that price you could buy needed tools and do it your self
youtube is your friend here! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

musa

Über Member
clearly no knowledge of the bike trade, the margins on some items are relatively example being that of Garmin

e-rider

crappy member
Some jobs are better left to the professionals for quickness, if you need a working bike and are still at the experimenting stage of fettling.
The OP earns £10 (minus tax and NI, I guess) per hour (lucky him! :sad:) so, say 5 hours for him to watch you tube videos, do the job, then maybe having to do it again, there's your £50 to the LBS, OP still has 5 hours of his time plus a fettled bike.
true, however, all many LBSs are crap and would do an awful job anyway!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Local authority consultant my boss - not the only pie he has his finger in.

Me however 1% pay rise in 4 years.

He - not governed by the same rules imposed by Cameron & his 81TCH - Clegg.

Still I can be happy knowing that -

"We are all in it together".

You're clearly under-paid and over-talented in the job that you have unlike your boss who is obviously the polar opposite. Life...so cruel.

Top Bottom