Etape Caledonia 2010 - Help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
So how did you get on? I see this post was from 2010 and found it while googling too. I'm doing it this year, and raising funds for charity. Was it a really tough ride? I've driven around the course last October and it seemed pretty rough! Walked up Schiehallion too, great views. I'm in training at the gym with my PT, although not been out on my bike since last year!! I'm a fair weather rider where possible, unless caught out. Happily ride 70miles or more, but not at a average speed of 25mph, which I think the organisers would prefer.

If you've got a half decent level of cycling fitness you should be fine. A small section of the climb up to Schiehallion is quite steep but it soon levels off. The last few miles are a bit lumpy as well. Apart from that it's pretty flat.

With the sheer number of cyclists on the route you'll benefit from slipstreaming as well even if you don't cycle in a proper group.

I've done it the last two years, great day out. :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
there are a couple of lumps at the beginning too, particularly up to the queens view. nothing to write home about but best you know they're coming as they're big enough as to rule out just standing up on the pedals for a few stokes.

Waspie

Über Member
there are a couple of lumps at the beginning too, particularly up to the queens view. nothing to write home about but best you know they're coming as they're big enough as to rule out just standing up on the pedals for a few stokes.

Forgot about the Queens View, must have had plenty left in the legs at that time!

zizou

Veteran
Plenty of people doing it under 25 mph. Will be alot of people doing 10 mph less than that and still making it round within the time limit.

Last year i left my cycling shoes behind and didnt have time to return for them before starting, fortunately had a pair of mountain bike flat pedals in my toolbox so could put them on just before the start rather than my clipless pedals, meant i did it in a pair of casual trainers with the most flexible sole imaginable (I could even feel the pins from the pedals through the sole!). Despite that i still managed a 17 mph average, with a rolling average a bit higher than that. With the same shoes on a solo ride i doubt i'd be able to maintain over 15 mph over 30 miles never mind 80 so the numbers of cyclists there (and the closed roads) really help out.

btw are you one of the Team Macmillan riders? I'm doing it with them this year rather than just a normal entry like last year.

Simon_m

Guru
Ah ok, well it doesnt sound too bad then! I remember the drive up to Queens View, I guess its not steep for Scotland, but for London... lol. Also not used to riding in a pack, but PT says that you increase your pseed and use less energy so that has to be good. Although I dont like the idea of being stuck in the middle and not having any room to manover around holes etc.

It does seem like a good day our right, nice to see so many dedicated riders and having the roads closed too will be amazing, as long as its dry :o) Sounds like Zizou had a bit of a mare last time! Hope your prepared this time. No, I'm not officialy one of their riders, my partner had to get his place in the Etape with Macmillan as there were no longer any "free" spaces left. I was lucky and got my own space, but have set up a justgiving page and doing it for MacMillan. Makes it all the more poignant as my best mate who was suffering from cancer for 18motnhs passed away last friday. So even more determination to raise as much and do it in a good time.

I've been watching a few videos on youtube and the official one on the site, it looks like some people really go for it! good contant speeds. May see some of you up there then! I cant remember where we booked to stay now, they have some kinda aweful sounding pasta party going on though lol

Top Bottom