Etape Caledonia route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

Did a recce of the Etape route last weekend. Great ride, roads very quiet & surprisingly few cyclists.

Couple of questions/observations about the route:
The second part of the Fortingall dogleg and the Logierait to Pitlochry run are on surprisingly narrow roads the Logierait road in particular has some slightly dodgy parts - in one section covered in mud. I wondered what people's experiences are of these sections esp. in respect of passing and/or riding in bunches.

There is one rather scary hairpin bend right at the bottom of a fairly steep descent (?near the soldier's leap)- I think it is only about 5 miles out so presumably people haven't spread out much by this stage. There must be potential for a massive pile-up here so do people tend to take this bend fairly carefully?

Waspie

Über Member
Didn't do the Fortingall loop last year due to the erse with the tacks but the Logierait road seemed ok. Was held up a wee bit at times due to people wobbling about a bit on the hills but nothing too bad. Didn't really see many people in a proper group by that stage. It's worth keeping your speed up as much as you can on that bid of road, makes the hills much easier.

I would imagine there is the potential for a pile up on the hairpin but last year there were marshalls warning people to slow down before it. I certainly took the bend carefully! That reminds me, better get new brakepads fitted before next week.

Top Bottom