Etape du dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash68

yeh, I've got my entry in for this one. Been doing a fair few long rides in the last few months so hope fully I'll get round,.Attempting the Fred Whitton on Sunday for the first time so Hope to get a finish in that one first. I guess how I how I perform on Sunday will give a fair indication of wether am ready for the etape du dales. Wish me luck!!!!

good luck,
it's our clubs 100 mile standard ride on the same day and we usually end up mixing it with the dales riders from dentdale to stainforth.
some of them looking a little knackered by that point!

ash68

sunday was a tough day for me Trio.I got round in 7 hrs 45 mins. Very pleased with my time , but a little dissapointed to have cramp on Hardknott. Was hoping to ride to the top but had to walk on two or three hairpins towards the top.That was the one and only time i walked on the ride, got up all the other passes, but on the day, with the heat, I just didn't quite have the fitness required. It was most definatly the hardest ride I've ever done and was totally shattered at the finish.Just got to recover now before Sunday eh? lol.I haven't ridden in that part of the country , but am expecting it to be just as tough as yesterday.Has anyone done this ride before who would like to share their knowledge of the terrain and what to expect?

That's a fantastic time. Can't speak for the EDuD but the White Rose Classic is a similar route and I found it to be a killer. But then I'm crap. Fleet Moss and the Coal Road are particularly hard - can't speak for Tan Hill

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Excellent time ash68!

I certainly think the E-d-Dales is as hard (and there are those who think it harder) but you seem to be in good shape.

i haven't done all the ride but have done some of it.well most of it but not all at once.
there isn't much recovery time between the coal road climb and dent which starts off as a long gentle drag but kicks up just befroe the railway bridge, it keeps climbing steeply after that round a couple of bends.the steepest bit is under and just after the bridge. once up dent you've a few miles of downhill before it starts to get "undulating" down from ribblehead there's a nasty short climb just after selside at the end of a drag on a left hand bend, be prepared it's steeper than it looks. then it's easy riding until after Horton, a couple of miles past horton and you have a climb just after aleft hander, it can be a bit of a grind as you can't geta run at it.shortly after that just before stainforth there is a steep climb, get a run at it and you can almost get all the way up otherwise it's a leg breaking grind.that takes you down a good steep hill to stainforth. thats where we leave the etape route, but where we have downhill to settle (!), you have a fairly long reasonably steep climb out of the village.

zebedee

I'm entered for the Etape du Dales. Did it last year. Wouldnt say it was as bad as the Fred Whitton but have nver done this one. The Fred whitton just looks harder. You're climbing ever so slightly from the start out of Wharfdale until the top of Fleet Moss which is steep. Then its just one climb after another. The bits inbetween are rolling. I woould say that the first fifty miles were the harder. With exception of the coal road after 70 miles then the second 50 isnt too bad. The final 15 miles or so are great because you just follow the road back down adjacent to the one you started on. Good luck to anyone else doing it.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Sounds like you did well ash. It was a hot day! I don't think I'll be getting round quite as fast as you. I've done a lot of hilly riding recently in preparation, but haven't done a ride as long before. But looking forward to it.

ash68

thanks for your kind congrats for my ride in the Fred. From what's been said this sunday looks like a tough ride too, so i'll do my normal ride of starting off steady and staying that way.No point in blowing up half way round eh? Thanks for all the info on the hills and route.It looks like a great route with some lovely scenery, hope the weather's as good a last weekend. Might see some of you on the ride, give me a hello as you go past!!!Anyone else wearing a cyclechat top on the day?

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
I should be wearing mine, the long zip will make it the perfect top if it is a hot day. I'll be aiming for setting off steady as well, but I am a slow rider :wacko:

haggard rider

I missed out on entry to EduD so, despite the deprivations to come for you, I'm envious. I've done it before and it's a great, and rewarding, ride.

For newcomers to the roads try and take in the scenery, the best bits are invariably where the hardest climbs are and I find the views take your mind off the pain (as if). If nothing else look over the edge on Buttertubs. And watch the drop from the top of Fleets Moss - the road surface is crap!

Good luck to you all - I'll be slogging it up hills elsewhere trying to catch up on a couple of months missed preparation from earlier in the year.

how did it go?
we met up with quite a few from dentdale and down to stainforth on our club 100 mile ride.i think my son may have upset a couple as he rode past on the climb and heard one remark "he's on a touring bike - with a saddlebag"!!but we had only done 60 miles of our ride at that point with a lot less climbing than you lads.
we're altering our day for our standard ride next year so that the club can ride the etape, at last.

Top Bottom